Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Medal Ribbons

chids

I have a set of WW1 medals for my Grandfather who served and lost his life at Gallipoli,

The 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medal

They are all sadly missing the original ribbons. I know that you can get replica ribbons, but what would be the best solution, by replica ribbons or can you buy authentic ribbons online?

many thanks

Paul

1WW medal ribbons (originals & reproductions) seen frequently on ebay.  You should not have a problem located what you require.

Some reproduction ribbons look pretty terrible tho.  Original ribbons are best.

Best wishes,

Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

thanks Bryan, is there any easy way of telling a fake from an original though? 

Yes definitely, repro ribbon looks very dissimilar to original both in appearance, weave, & texture.

Repro ribbon is usually nylon as well, the watering in both is very poorly done, especially in the Victory medal.

The War medal ribbon is somewhat better done, varies according to manufacturer

I have some orriginal ribbon of both but I am in Canada, I will try to photo a couple examples for you & post.

Edited by RNCVR

That would be brilliant, appreciate you taking the time to do that

Have attached some photos of original War & Victory ribbon.

Unfortunately I dont have any repro War medal ribbon!  With repro War medal ribbon you wont see that rippling watered effect. It will also be synthetic material, not silk.

Very fine weave, watering (also called moire, a rippling effect) is very obvious in both ribbons.

1WWribbon 001.JPG

1WWribbon 004.JPG

1WWribbon 005.JPG

Original silk Victory ribbon on left, repro Victory on right, pretty obvious difference.

1WWribbon 002.JPG

No watering at all in the repro ribbon, its also made of nylon or synthetic material

1WWribbon 003.JPG

Closeup of  repro Victory ribbon.

1WWribbon 006.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

Paul, I can send you some original War & Victory ribbon, but as I mentioned above I am in Canada, our postal system is still functioning.  I have mailed within Canada & USA recently but nothing to UK since prior to the Coronavirus.    Dont really know how mail is moving thru at yr end.

It would go via Letter post(Air) so think it would reach you Ok, but it may take somewhat longer. I was just in PO yesterday & she told me that mail is moving so expect you will get it eventually.

Just PM me yr mailing address pls.

Best ...Bryan

Thats very kind of you Bryan and I really appreciate your kind offer and taking the time to post the pictures, its certainly easier to tell from an image. I have sent you s Dm as well,

Thanks

Paul

Paul, I have missed the 1914-15 star (mentioned it in PM I just sent)

I have a bit of orrig star ribbon, not as much as War & Victory ribbon, star ribbon for some reason much more difficult to obtain. Its been repro'd as well, lots of that around.  Will try to send a couple photos shortly.

Your grandfather (as he was KIA) should also have a large bronze Memorial plaque with his name embossed on it. Do you have it with his Trio?

Best....Bryan

Photos of 1914-15 star ribbon -----

Original watered silk ribbon 

1914-15star 001.JPG

Couple more pieces of original watered silk ribbon -- its much finer that the repro ribbon.

1914-15star 003.JPG

Three types of reproduction ribbon, the watering is virtually impossible for current weaving to duplicate, so its just not of the quality of that made back in the early 1920's. The gradual blending of the three colours is also not as well done.

1914-15star 002.JPG

another view of repro ribbon....the demarcation lines are pretty obvious in the bottom example.

1914-15star 004.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

thanks Bryan for the images and yes I have the trio of medals and the death penny, but sadly lacking ribbons for the three medals