The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Army Ordnance Corps- locations

kildaremark

My knowledge of the  AOC is pretty bad.

Is there somewhere I can find out the locations of mobile workshops during the war?

I want to find the units that were in Calais / Ardruicq in late 1918 early 1919.

Thanks

Mark

2 hours ago, kildaremark said:

My knowledge of the  AOC is pretty bad.

Is there somewhere I can find out the locations of mobile workshops during the war?

I want to find the units that were in Calais / Ardruicq in late 1918 early 1919.

Thanks

Mark

From 1914 Ordnance Depots at Woolwich, Weedon and Pimlico were supplemented by the wholesale takeover of warehouses throughout the Britain and Ireland and in early 1915 a depot was established at Didcot, Oxfordshire, to be the major focus for the receipt and distribution of AOC stores. Ammunition storage was also expanded dramatically and the former peacetime magazines at places such as Portsmouth and Plymouth were supplemented by purpose built depots at Bramley, Altrincham, Credenhill and Didcot. On the Western Front a highly successful logistic infrastructure, largely rail based, was created to support the front.   The Long Long Trail, an adjunct to this website, gives an excellent rundown on the locations of the Base Depots in France during WW1: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/british-base-depots-in-france-1914-1918/

Images courtesy of the Imperial War Museum

ww1 mobile workshop.jpg

British-Army-travelling-workshop-1916-800x500.jpg

WW1 Mobile Armourers Wksp.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Mark

I have a long list of AOC mobile workshops, light, medium and heavy. The problem is they were attached at Army and Corps level not bases  or lines of communication. I also have the dates of their movements. If you can be more precise with dates and types of workshop, it might be able at least to trace the formation which might  lead to more avenues of research.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

4 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Mark

I have a long list of AOC mobile workshops, light, medium and heavy. The problem is they were attached at Army and Corps level not bases  or lines of communication. I also have the dates of their movements. If you can be more precise with dates and types of workshop, it might be a able at least trace The formation which could lead to more research.

TR

That is fantastic Terry, would it be possible to ask Chris Baker if your list could be added to the Long Long Trail so that they are easily accessible?

40 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Mark

I have a long list of AOC mobile workshops, light, medium and heavy. The problem is they were attached at Army and Corps level not bases  or lines of communication. I also have the dates of their movements. If you can be more precise with dates and types of workshop, it might be able at least to trace the formation which might  lead to more avenues of research.

TR

Thanks gents for the prompt replies.

My grandfather was at Ardruicq in Jan 1919. I'm reasonably confident that he was there with a railway gun with the RGA (but which battery I don't know).  I would like to have a look at the AOC workshop or Base depot working in the area in mid-Jan 1919 to see if the War Diary mentions railway guns being fixed. I have alreay checked some of the RGA siege battery diaries but not too many go as far as January 1919.

Mark

Edited by kildaremark

27 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Mark

Sorry , nothing more than I can do help.

TR

Thanks Terry!

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

That is fantastic Terry, would it be possible to ask Chris Baker if your list could be added to the Long Long Trail so that they are easily accessible?

Bump.....??

Edited by FROGSMILE

59 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Bump.....??

Sorry, I will help individuals but I will not have anything to do with  LLT under any circumstances.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Sorry, I will help individuals but I will not have anything to do with  LLT under any circumstances.

TR

Understood.  I’ve sent you a PM.