Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

North Russia Relief Force

fremlin

My great uncle was a regular in the 1st Bn. Gordon Highlanders and was captured near Le Cateau on 26 August 1914 when his unit stumbled into a German encampment, so he spent most of the war in Sennelager POW camp. However he returned to Aberdeen in 1918 and served abroad on a military mission (location not recorded) from 31 July 1920 to 25 June 1921 (as listed in his service record). My late father's story was that it was a hush-hush mission to Siberia and they were allegedly looking for someone. The story is given some credence by the Gordon Highlanders Museum who stated that 150 volunteers from the regiment volunteered for the North Russia Relief Force. I have found a WD document relating to a serving brother quoting my uncle's address as at 9 November 1920 as c/o British Military Mission, Budapest, Austro-Hungary and I am not sure whether this confirms or refutes the Russian story.

I have a vague notion that the British Government - aghast at the rise of Bolshevism - did send forces to support White Russians etc. but can anybody throw any light on this "North Russia Relief Force"? What was it for? What did it do? How large was it? Was it composed of men from different regiments? Why was it wound up?

Perhaps there is a source I could consult, as my attempts at research have been so far unsuccessful.

I trust that this topic is allowed, even though it relates to the 1920's, as it is clearly in the aftermath of the Great War

1 hour ago, fremlin said:

"North Russia Relief Force"? What was it for? What did it do? How large was it? Was it composed of men from different regiments? Why was it wound up?

I trust that this topic is allowed, even though it relates to the 1920's, as it is clearly in the aftermath of the Great War

This thread may be of interest. 

Thanks. Copy of book on its way from Naval & Military Press (I hope).

• 2 weeks later...

Having purchased and read the book referred to above (Churchill's Secret War with Lenin) I should have paid attention to its title in full : 1918 - 1920.

My Great Uncle John's service record states that his "military mission (location not recorded)" was for the period 31 July 1920 - 25 June 1921, which was after the North Russia Relief Force had ceased operations.

I am now informed that there was a "British Military Mission to Russia" 1920 - 21, apparently based in Georgia/ Ukraine, "liaising with the White Russian Forces" - which is apparently not the same as the Mission to South Russia 1918 - 1920, which is in any case too early for my interest.

Is there any information on the British Military Mission to Russia mission I wonder?

I am still mindful that the War Office had his address in November 1920 as c/o British Military Mission, Budapest, Austro-Hungary. Is that yet another mission in those strange times?

Help, please.....

This is a list of the material in the Discovery catalogue of The National Archives for 1920-1923: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=british military mission russia&_dss=range&_sd=1920&_ed=1923

Unfortunately the only records available for download are the Medal Index Cards of seventeen soldiers involved, and of those the only one with initial J is a Major. I haven't been able to pin down a useful book, so it may be a case for a London holiday with a visit to Kew once the world is nearer normal.

15 hours ago, fremlin said:

I am still mindful that the War Office had his address in November 1920 as c/o British Military Mission, Budapest, Austro-Hungary. Is that yet another mission in those strange times?

There is reference to a photograph in the Durham Record office catalogue Ref: D/DLI 7/75/25(10)

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/11111?SearchType=Param&CatRef=D%2FDLI+7&ImagesOnly=Y&ImageView=List&Page=45&ItemID=1014622

Postcard photograph of a group of officers, October 1919 Endorsed: British Military Mission, Budapest, Hungary, Left to Right: Baron Schell; Captain Aitken, Seaforths; Major Foster; Brigadier- General R. St. George Gorton, C.M.G.; Lieutenant Molesworth, Gordons; Captain Graham; Gen. List; and Captain Züclz

From the collection of Major Edward BORROW, D.S.O., A.V.M. (Ref: Borrow D/DLI 7/75/1-51)… served in the post-war army of occupation in Germany.

Perhaps this means the British Military Mission, Budapest can be regarded as part of the post-war  occupation in Germany . If so, there might be something relevant in Official History of the Great War: The Occupation of the Rhineland 1918-1929 by Brig-Gen Sir JE Edmonds, first published 1944, available in a reprint edition[33], which in turn is available on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3, located in International/Military Books/Germany.

[33] The Occupation of the Rhineland 1918-1929 Naval & Military Press.

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you very much for all the helpful suggestions which I will follow up when time and circumstances permit.