Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this soldiers Regt?

Sav

Can anyone identify the shoulder title in the photo below? The photo is from my grandmother and it was given to me as Fred Walne No 100207 RAMC. On closer inspection it doesn't look like RAMC.

Regards

Sav

Document_20200426_0002.jpg

Fred Walne MIC.jpg

Fred Walne 100207 RAMC.jpg

The man is a Lance Corporal in the image.

Scott

Hello Scott,

I realise that but there is so much variation in the records and they are not always complete  I was seeking to identify the Regt and work from there.

Regards

Ken

It’s definitely not RAMC, but a curved title for one of the County regiments.  I can’t make out the letters on my phone screen though. I’ll have a look on a laptop tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Sav said:

Thanks Frogsmile. I was wondering if it was one of the Lancashire Regts. 

Regards

Sav

There are too few letters to be a LANCASHIRE title, as that County’s regiments mostly used full titles, just KING’S was shorter.  I thought it might be this latter, but the sequence of the lettering looks almost as if the image is reversed. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

15 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I thought it might be this latter, but the sequence of the lettering looks almost as if the image is reversed. 

Not sure if this helps.

He's also buttoned left over right so it looks that the original photo is not reversed.

20200426_090915.jpg

Edited by Alan24

It does look a bit like Kings

BillyH.

gwf.jpg.b5f02bb0178c0893a6eff8676fd209a8.jpg

23 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Not sure if this helps.

He's also buttoned left over right so it looks that the original photo is not reversed.

Thank you Alan, you’re of course quite right about the buttoning.

9 minutes ago, BillyH said:

It does look a bit like Kings

BillyH.

Yes, I do think that KING’S is the closest that I can make out.

ABD75619-F85D-44D2-B564-947BC599583B.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Fred Walne has service papers.

They show he enlisted directly into the RAMC in July 1915, so I would suggest it's unlikely that the photograph is of him - although that doesn't detract from trying to identify the shoulder title.

Regards

Russ

Thankyou gentlemen for these insights. King's it is. This soldier is a relative so it leads me to my maternal grandfather's side and his Uncle George Ashton, my gg uncle, born on 11 Nov. 1889 in Blackburn to John and Mary Ann Ashton. I've looked the MICs at the UK National Archive and there are two George Ashtons who served in the Liverpool Regt although neither has L/Cpl mentioned on their MIC. I'll take this to the Soldiers and their Units section on this Forum.

Regards

Sav

14 hours ago, Sav said:

Thankyou gentlemen for these insights. King's it is. This soldier is a relative so it leads me to my maternal grandfather's side and his Uncle George Ashton, my gg uncle, born on 11 Nov. 1889 in Blackburn to John and Mary Ann Ashton. I've looked the MICs at the UK National Archive and there are two George Ashtons who served in the Liverpool Regt although neither has L/Cpl mentioned on their MIC. I'll take this to the Soldiers and their Units section on this Forum.

Regards

Sav

Sav, Lance Corporal was not a ‘rank’, but a generally unpaid ‘appointment’, intended to be temporary and so with no seniority date attracting eligibility for pension rights.  It was a probationary position to see how well a man handled responsibility and authority.  The first substantive step was the next one, to Corporal.  This means that the substantive rank of a Lance Corporal was Private and thus no record of NCO rank would appear against the names you are researching unless and until they were promoted to full Corporal.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Many thanks Frogsmile for that clarification. It would now appear that my GG Uncle George Ashton is one of two George Ashtons in the King's Regt.  George Ashton No 65945 and later the Labour Corps No 426146 or George Ashton No 95414. I wonder if their papers survived?

Regards

Ken