Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

57cSE Dec 1917

Hull17KSLI

Does anyone know of any maps for the sheet 57c.SE that cover the trenches as of December 1917. I have come across others but they vary of dates and the position of the frontline.

I'm tracking the movements of the 1/4th KSLI and the trenches they occupied but most maps show significant movement of the frontline.

TIA

4 minutes ago, Jrmh said:

They do but I have seen another map somewhere that shows the lines being parallel to each other running along the ridge

12 minutes ago, MaxD said:

Thats great thank you! I believe that with the regularity of moving ground that Brigades didn't have the most up to date maps. I'm currently trawling through 3 Divisional HQs war diaries in the hope its hidden in them!

1 minute ago, MaxD said:

The October 1917 https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=12&lat=50.05208&lon=3.08920&layers=101465206&b=1 has a different representation of the trenches.

Max

The Divisional HQ war diary states that they occupied what is the German front line in the October map, so i've begun using the later maps.

Do you have grid references for the trenches that you are interested in?

Some are mentioned in the 190 Bde HQ and 1/28 Artists' Rifles War Diaries, notably L.34.c.60.35 on 23 Dec 1917.

6 hours ago, Jrmh said:

Do you have grid references for the trenches that you are interested in?

Some are mentioned in the 190 Bde HQ and 1/28 Artists' Rifles War Diaries, notably L.34.c.60.35 on 23 Dec 1917.

Yes thank you, i've recently purchased 'Rats Alley" to help and it's been worth its weight in gold

Edited by Hull17KSLI

On 24/04/2020 at 13:05, Hull17KSLI said:

I'm tracking the movements of the 1/4th KSLI and the trenches they occupied but most maps show significant movement of the front line.

Can't help you with the battalion's movements in 1917 but I helped organise a battlefield tour concentrating on 1/4 KSLI in 1918 and have visited its positions in the German March offensive, at Bligny where it was awarded the Croix de Guerre avec Palme and during the Battle of the Selle in November 1918, if that's of any interest.