Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

239th Siege Battery RGA

stephen binks

Hello,

I am having difficulty finding the 239th Siege battery war diary, PRIOR to September 1917. WO95 230/10 covers the period Sept. 17 - Feb. 18 as Army troop. I assumed it was 81st Brigade (WO95/230/1) but not so. I am researching Bombardier James Tyrer Dickinson (112887) who was "killed in action" on the 26th June, 1917. I am really trying to pin point the battery (Ypres Salient).

Interestingly, his service records mention: that he was given an extra 6d a day as "Battery accountant". A term I have not heard of before. He had been an accountant prior to call up.

Appreciate any help

Steve 

Steve,

Unfortunately there is no surviving official 239 SB WD covering dates earlier than what you already have. You therefore need the higher formation WD’s of assorted Brigades 239 SB came under at various times during the war. For the date you require you need the ‘23 Brigade RGA’ war diary which the battery joined on 20.06.17. This was under control of  XIV Corps.

The only other research avenue I can suggest that may have extra information, are private papers held at the IWM of a 239 Sge Bty subaltern. These are pocket diaries kept by one Lieutenant Gerrish; IWM internal ref: Documents. 4272.

Rgds Paul