Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

To sleep, perchance to dream

ilkley remembers

Good one IR; thank you for the link. I immediately thought of the quote from the end of Henry V on Raymond Asquith's grave in Guillemont Road, I'm not on Twitter otherwise I'd whizz it in.

Pete.

Good one IR; thank you for the link. I immediately thought of the quote from the end of Henry V on Raymond Asquith's grave in Guillemont Road, I'm not on Twitter otherwise I'd whizz it in.

Small time, but in that small most greatly lived

This star of England

Henry V was Shakespeare's favourite monarch and these lines spoken in the Epilogue by Chorus was a reminder that he died aged just 32. The play was a frequently performed for troops resting behind the front line on the Western Front and Henry's great St Crispins Day speech was apparently much appreciated.

Edited by ilkley remembers

1 hour ago, ilkley remembers said:

Small time, but in that small most greatly lived

This star of England - thats the one, still haven't found a good picture of Asquith's grave although I've visited it several times

Henry's great St Crispins Day speech was apparently much appreciated. It's always appreciated by me, there can't be many more inspiring passages in literature.

Thanks IR.

More Shalespeare, John Harris, in Covenant With Death, has one of his characters recite John of Gaunt's 'This England' speech from Richard ll.  Marvellous!

Edited by 593jones

8 hours ago, 593jones said:

More Shalespeare, John Harris, in Covenant With Death, has one of his characters recite John of Gaunt's 'This England' speech from Richard ll.  Marvellous!

Great speech by the dying Gaunt who curses Richard for banishing his son Bolingbrooke. Curses usually come true in Shakespesre and Bolingbrooke returns to take Richards throne. Saw RSC productions of both Richard II and Henry V this week via Marquee TV who have a free offer on at the moment.