Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Item on Repair Shop

Gardenerbill

There was a really nice Great War compass on the repair shop tonight. In good condition with original leather case and not over restored.

Yes I saw that and thought that both experts did a really  good job. I really enjoy the programme for the talent of the craftsmen and craftswomen but in my opinion they do ocassionally over restore items and in so doing the items lose their history and character. 

On 28/04/2020 at 16:56, mark holden said:

I really enjoy the programme for the talent of the craftsmen and craftswomen but in my opinion they do ocassionally over restore items and in so doing the items lose their history and character. 

I think the level of restoration undertaken is often driven by the owners of the objects; some will, unfortunately, expect a virtually "brand new" item.

I was impressed by the wooden Angels, carved by Belgian refugees, which arrived painted, missing a pair of hands and a nose tip. The restorer painstakingly removed the paint, using a cotton bud and solvent, to reveal the original gilding beneath.

https://www.lincoln.anglican.org/news/gosberton-clough-angels-to-be-on-bbc1s-the-repair-shop-tonight

Yes the Angels were fantastic 

Although tonight's episode was  a repeat, worth seeing the German Great War period wire cutters. Great story behind them and sympathetically restored.

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Although tonight's episode was  a repeat, worth seeing the German Great War period wire cutters. Great story behind them and sympathetically restored.

I too was amazed because as soon as I saw them I said to my wife I have a pair of them in my workshop and low & behold I found them minus the spring, but in very good condition. I think I inherited them from my father but he never said anything about them. I did try and research them online but to no avail.  All the ww1 cutters shown were very crude so I'm at a loss? I think the Germans called them Fur harten draht..for hard wire I believe? 

20200506_222045.jpg

15 hours ago, Nottmtrucker said:

I too was amazed because as soon as I saw them I said to my wife I have a pair of them in my workshop and low & behold I found them minus the spring, but in very good condition. I think I inherited them from my father but he never said anything about them. I did try and research them online but to no avail.  All the ww1 cutters shown were very crude so I'm at a loss? I think the Germans called them Fur harten draht..for hard wire I believe? 

Yours has slightly more rounded ends and doesn't look to have the replaceable cutting blades, but that's not to say they're not German or date from the same GW period. 

I'll leave that to the experts.

Alan.

cut1.JPG

cut.JPG

• 1 month later...

The last edition of the Repair Shop, which was a repeat, featured a nice original Brodie.

It had been the property of the persons grandfather, and he wanted the strap replacing.

So far so good, he claimed it had been worn during the Gallipoli campaign!  Did anyone

else see this?   He had a diary which confirmed the dent present had been caused by a 

shrapnel burst.  I can only think that the diary entry was undated, leading to some

confusion......

Mike.

1 hour ago, MikeyH said:

The last edition of the Repair Shop, which was a repeat, featured a nice original Brodie.

It had been the property of the persons grandfather, and he wanted the strap replacing.

So far so good, he claimed it had been worn during the Gallipoli campaign!  Did anyone

else see this?   He had a diary which confirmed the dent present had been caused by a 

shrapnel burst.  I can only think that the diary entry was undated, leading to some

confusion......

Mike.

This thread mentions it 

Mark,

Many thanks, I thought I vaguely recalled the topic being aired previously.

Mike.

45 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Mark,

Many thanks, I thought I vaguely recalled the topic being aired previously.

Mike.

You're welcome , i agree with the comments on there . it's probably better to leave some things as they are , the beauty of an object is in it's history and not 

just in it's appearance .

• 8 months later...

Last night's episode (repeat?) featured the wrist watch of an MM Winner - Sgt.  W 'Jack' Oram 

Possibly 27119 William M Oram Hampshire Regt? 

w3.JPG

w2.JPG

w1.JPG

Edited by Alan24

I wonder what that would make the rather large shoulder title - maybe territorial? And what are we to make of the name on the photo starting with Wal?:(

I think his daughter said he was normally known as Jack.  An excellent job by Steve Fletcher,

Mike.

37 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

I think his daughter said he was normally known as Jack.  An excellent job by Steve Fletcher,

I can only find 5 MM recipients named Oram.

Radstock is in Somerset so we can probably discount the Scottish Regt. soldier. 

The man in the Dorset Regt. died of wounds, so it's not him.

w5.JPG

36 minutes ago, PhilB said:

William shown as corporal on his medal card.

If he was made up to Sgt. after 11.11.18 it would not appear on his MIC, or VM & BWM medals.

It is possible he became Sgt. after the armistice. 

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Toy Great War Howitzer on tonight.

Very similar to the model '18" howitzer' Britains were still selling in the 1980s!

Michael

On 14/05/2021 at 00:51, EastSurrey said:

Very similar to the model '18" howitzer' Britains were still selling in the 1980s!

Michael

Yes. Very similar.

how.JPG.9b60b2b4a96216fdef7bdec4b0e7c7e4.JPG

ho.JPG.4e7812cf743c60c8c4116e16235c3baa.JPG

Is that a spring-operated shell firing mechanism in the casing?

I want one!

Edited by depaor01

44 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Is that a spring-operated shell firing mechanism in the casing?

I want one!

Yes it was, complete with solid metal shell. They fired it on the show and it packed quite a punch. Couldn't sell a toy like that now.

Edited by Alan24

The one I had in 1963 shot plastic shells. It could knock the turret off an Airfix Panther with 5 out of 6 rounds at 12 feet. I think the breech and cartridge mechanisms had been changed a bit from the earlier design, probably to simplify production. :D