Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknow regiment

Tony cribb

Norfolk Yeomanry? Cypher looks more like Edward VII than George V.

Is there any more of the picture available, and what does KOH stand for?

I follow your logic Steven but did it ever exist in that format?

10 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

I follow your logic Steven but did it ever exist in that format?

There was a variant for Edward VII but although it's similar it isn't quite the same.  I think it is Indian Army, it's significant that it is configured ERI, which relates to Imperator, as in Emperor of India.

NY.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I think you're correct with Indian Army FROGSMILE..

Chris

1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

I think you're correct with Indian Army FROGSMILE..

Chris

You've got it Chris, Indian Unattached List.  I just found it in Cox's Military Badges.

39 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

.....what does KOH stand for?

I think he means (3rd) King's Own Hussars, Steven.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, Tony cribb said:

Morning All

Any idea's of this regimental unit , attached to the KOH in India 

Cheers in advance 

Tony C

Tony the 'Indian Unattached List' was for officers waiting to join their British-Indian Army Regiment.  They were generally young men who passed out in the top of their class at RMC Sandhurst and thus were eligible for their preference of the Indian Army.  However, in order that they gain experience of British Army soldiers, the associated military culture and protocols, they were required to serve a period of attachment, usually 6-months to a year depending upon circumstances, before joining their Indian unit, whereupon they went through another period of probation in order to learn one of the agreed military languages to an acceptable level, but also make sure that they were suitable to command native troops.  All of these policies were connected with reforms promulgated after the Indian Mutiny of 1857.

British-Victorian-Indian-Army-Officers-Unattached-List-Belt-_57.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Tony the 'Indian Unattached List' was for officers waiting to join their British-Indian Army Regiment.  They were generally young men who passed out in the top of their class at RMC Sandhurst and thus were eligible for their preference of the Indian Army.  However, in order that they gain experience of British Army soldiers, the associated military culture and protocols, they were required to serve a period of attachment, usually 6-months to a year depending upon circumstances, before joining their Indian unit, whereupon they went through another period of probation in order to learn one of the agreed military languages to an acceptable level, but also make sure that they were suitable to command native troops.  All of these policies were connected with reforms promulgated after the Indian Mutiny of 1857.

British-Victorian-Indian-Army-Officers-Unattached-List-Belt-_57.jpg

39 minutes ago, Tony cribb said:

Hi All,

Many thanks for everyones input , KOH =3rd Kings Own Hussars 

Regards

Tony C

Another feature of the unattached list dress is the absence of a collar badge, Tony. Your subject would almost certainly have joined an Indian cavalry regiment subsequently. Sometimes British and Indian regiments developed ‘special relationships’ if they had served together in circumstances of mutual regard on active service.

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Another feature of the unattached list dress is the absence of a collar badge, Tony. Your subject would almost certainly have joined an Indian cavalry regiment subsequently. Sometimes British and Indian regiments developed ‘special relationships’ if they had served together in circumstances of mutual regard on active service.

Frogsmile,

Many thanks again, a lot of useful information for my records 

Tony C