Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Trench Art From the Battle of the Somme

I am new to French Trench Art collecting and just purchased the lovely piece.  I am hopeful that someone on the thread can educate me a little on where I can research the meaning and origin of the markings.  The description of the piece given to me indicates that " I found it in the Somme valley and its in as found condition with an original patina.  It is marked 75 DE C for Canone 75mm De Campagne or 75mm Field Gun.
Manufacturer: Parc d'artillerie de Place de Lyon
Date 1914
Height: 34 cm, diameter of base: 8.5 cm.

In 'googling' the Place de Lyon, I found little info to help me with the markings.

Help greatly appreciated! 

French trench art.jpg

French trench art-1.jpg

Edited by Guest
added additional pic

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2020 at 00:10, French JAR said:

I am new to French Trench Art collecting and just purchased the lovely piece.  ...

Hi, welcome to GWForum! 

I am surprised nobody has picked up on this yet! And I have been off for a while (something called work, via ZOOM...)

I am no expert, but ARS is I believe Atelier de Constructions de Rennes and that is the maker of the case, not Parc d'artillerie de Place de Lyon, while the French Canon 75 de Campagne is correct and the most common case origin used in trench art in my very limited experience. The Ln mark is, I think, for Parc d'artillerie de Place de Lyon - perhaps where the thing was filled? LN WITH a capital 'N' was certainly the mark on their cartridge bags...

Trajan

• spof changed the title to French Trench Art From the Battle of the Somme