Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William Burns--Signal Service?

jem1900

I've begun trying to find information about the military service of my great-grandfather, William Burns. I know he was born in St. Rollox, Glasgow on April 1, 1900 and lived in Springburn Glasgow until he emigrated to the U.S. in 1923. Because his name is so common and since I don't have a regiment number yet, I'm been trying to narrow searches down based on my grandmother's stories of her father. Specifically she said he was a telegraph operator, and served in the British Army of the Rhine for at least part of his service. I would assume him being a telegraph operator would mean he was in the Signal Service of the Royal Engineers, but I'm hoping someone with more knowledge on this subject could confirm that, or whether he could have been part of a different service. Also any information about the BAOR would be really appreciate, especially something concerning soldiers from Scotland or Glasgow in particular. 

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your research.

There is a William Burns b 1900 living in Govan Road, Glasgow in 1918. Father named George Burns. Could that be your great-grandfather?

George

Edited by George Rayner

6 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your research.

There is a William Burns b 1900 living in Govan Road, Glasgow in 1918. Father named George Burns. Could that be your great-grandfather?

George

Thanks!

Unfortunately not; his father was also named William Burns. My great-grandfather was in a long line of William Burnses in the family--makes genealogy easier and harder in some ways. 

Yes I have the same problem. And then another family in the village names all their children the same too....

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • ss002d6252 locked this topic
  • Michelle Young unlocked this topic