Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rounds to identify

buritonian

Can anyone confirm what these are?

First is a common round but is it German or British?

Smaller one. German 9mm pistol or??

Third round is large diameter. What could it be fired from?

the Last is a piece of a shell, but what type? what fired it? And what did that shell look like before it blew? 
be great to know.

93F2A80D-4A15-42DB-B688-92EBC3467B6B.jpeg

561AD116-DA47-4699-88F8-4237FFFA8263.jpeg

F9899CE5-CDBE-4C6C-8FC8-BE885F687D9D.jpeg

1110C7BC-83E2-4559-9144-B44DB28E7294.jpeg

0F2EF87E-E76C-43FD-B765-8409F2AFEF8F.jpeg

60BC8859-EDF5-4C28-A1A7-EED5C88CC26F.jpeg

8662778A-BC55-415B-BBF0-DA9C7137E229.jpeg

B75C40CF-053D-4F26-ADC9-EA319B12A3ED.jpeg

0A626DC8-1A76-457F-8881-8D2941A8D437.jpeg

Edited by buritonian

Pic 1 and 2 are a French bullet, 3 and 4 a German bullet, the two following pics probably a French or British cartridge and the last 3 probably show a German fuse GrZ 04.

Interesting, I shall look up the Grz 04.

FYI I don’t know myself, so I’m not setting a quiz. I had some ideas but would be great to get opinions.
The third cartridge is quite a bit bigger than a typical .303 one. 

Edited by buritonian

9 minutes ago, buritonian said:

Interesting, I shall look up the Grz 04.

FYI I don’t know myself, so I’m not setting a quiz. I had some ideas but would be great to get opinions.
The third cartridge is quite a bit bigger than a typical .303 one. 

Then the cartridge may be a French one.

3 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Then the cartridge may be a French one.

Yes, the rim looks like it may have the small concave radius on the periphery typical of 8mm Lebel. 

17 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Pic 1 and 2 are a French bullet, 3 and 4 a German bullet, the two following pics probably a French or British cartridge and the last 3 probably show a German fuse GrZ 04.

Interesting that you believe pic 1 and 2 (the bullet with the bent over nose from an impact) to be French. Is there something defining that rules out it being a German or British bullet? I had felt it might be German since it was spotted by the British lines at Beaumont Hamel 

36 minutes ago, buritonian said:

Interesting that you believe pic 1 and 2 (the bullet with the bent over nose from an impact) to be French. Is there something defining that rules out it being a German or British bullet? I had felt it might be German since it was spotted by the British lines at Beaumont Hamel 

It is a French bullet. I have been looking for relics on fields for almost 40 years, so I can identify a lot of things.

48 minutes ago, buritonian said:

i) It's clearly a solid coppery alloy - the French 'Balle D' differed from German, British, or practically any other nation's bullet in being solid bronze. Others used a lead or composite core covered with a cupro-nickel or gilding metal jacket.

ii) It has a long boat tail, also a unique-ish feature of Balle D at that time.

iii) The rifling goes left-hand and looks like the 4-groove Lebel pattern. British also used left-hand but either 2 or 5 grooves.

Looks like the nose hit wire or something similar at the end of a longish trajectory, spun it end-for-end and the tail then hit something else. If it'd happened at closer range, the turnover would've curled over much more of the nose.

Edited by MikB

buritonian,

Just to add to the above, if you look at the base of the bullet pictured at 1 & 2 you should, if the bullet is not too corroded/damaged, find some letters and numerals which give the identity of the manufacturer and month/year of manufacture.

Regards,

Michael.

Hi

This is fantastic to learn. I’m really grateful. Thanks to all.

i looked with a magnifying glass but not markings to make out unfortunately