Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Finding Private Foster" - Canadian Documentary

Canadawwi

I just wanted to alert the group about a very moving television documentary that appeared in Canada this past weekend.

The story is entitled "Finding Private Foster" and is based on a schoolteacher who inspires each child to adopt a soldier from the local war memorial and research the soldier in depth. It is a true story.

The documentary may be viewed here - and note that there are two parts - part two is where the children visit the battlefields and the graves of their soldiers.

Marika

Marika,

Thank you so much for the link.

The program was superb. With the likes of the teacher, Blake Seaward, the memory of the Canadian boys will never be forgotten. He's a credit to his country.

Marika,

As I mentioned on the CEF Forum this was an excellent program. A small town in Ontario, which could not have had much more of a population of a few thousand in 1914, lost 86 sons. The work of this teacher is to be highly commended. I shall remember the look on the face of the girl who finally found Pte.Foster's grave - she had studied this man for a year, probably knew more about him than anyone. She cried very real tears.

My daughters school, Lockerbie Academy, has done a similar thing. The kids are encouraged to source a casualty from the area or a relative and research them before their visit to the battlefields.

Not having any relatives KIA and recently settled here after acquiring a Brummie wife and kids we took a Scottish sailor from the RND off the CWGC site that is in my sig (being a naval chap myself).

The trip was a marvellous experience for them all and I find I now have a daughter that says 'stop' when we pass a memorial while driving then I find the computer in use for days afterwards.

One she took.

cairns2rg.jpg

Great documentary Marika, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

How fortunate the Canadians (and Australians) are to have access to fuller service records of their First World War veterans than we Brits are.

But a lovely programme, thanks again.

Marika

Thanks for that - excellent

Glyn