Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone know where similar service cards can be found ?

Jim Strawbridge

On another string for this woman reference was made to  https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/27552 On this page, under "Employment" the enclosed card is revealed. I have three comments.

1) This is not a card (so far as I can see) from the BRCS cards that are available to view through their web site.  It is a very informative and I should like to know where one can gain access to other such cards for other women that I am researching.

2) I need help in Hospital Q.V.H. (? Larkingside?)

3) (? Mansell Tower ?) Hospital, Manchester.

British Red Cross VAD card showing qualifications

Queen Victoria H, Barkingside (Essex) - could be Hospital, but the Dr Barnardo's Home there had a QV House. There was a hospital at the Home, but it was known as the Australasian Hospital.

Thank you for sharing this image, labelled "British Red Cross VAD card showing qualifications" by the contributor. I have not seen one of these before.

This link says that Queen Victoria House at the Dr Barnardo's Girls Village Home at Barkingside, was used as a receiving and quarantine house for new arrivals at the Village Home. From 1928 it was used as a training home for girls that were being emigrated to Canada and Australia. This would seem a fit with her next job at the Monsall Fever Hospital.

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/BarkingsideDB/?LMCL=y5jQJp

Until 2017 the Registry Office for the London Borough of Redbridge was at Queen Victoria House.

That's 2) and 3) sorted. Thank you. The card is now the interesting one. I know that the BRCS card listing of VADs available to search through their website is woefully incomplete and I am hoping that there is a stash of yet undiscovered ones somewhere.

I wondered if the IWM Lives contributor 'john87579' contacted the BRC. I seem to recall they may have some additional info for some individuals.

No way of contacting 'John' via the site I can see. Try emailing the BRC site?

TEW