Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Air Service Flugzeugführer und Beobachter

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Air-Minded Great War Forum members,

Note the circa 1916 s1702263947_GermanAirService1916PilotandObs.jpg.740fe95fd988453d707bac8525a4de49.jpgcene, and especially the Beobachter with binoculars.

Can anybody enlarge on the Picture...?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hello, the picture was taken in 1918 as the cross was only in use from March 1918 onwards.

Jan

The 16 on the aircraft fuselage refers to the year in which the aircraft - in this case 17518/16 - was ordered.  It is a very long time since I was active in the field of aviation research, but I think the aircraft pictured is a D.F.W. C.V - the most widely produced German two-seater of the war.

Dear Jan and Malcolm,

Many thanks for your helpful feedback. 

Much appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

5 hours ago, Malcolm12hl said:

the year in which the aircraft - in this case 17518/16 - was ordered

Hi,

this is an important point to make, because sometimes the planes were delivered after the year passed, so eg ordered in 1916 and in service 1917.

GreyC

Dear GreyC,

Yes, I appreciate that.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

An interesting photo. I believe that the photo actually shows C.I 7518/16, rather than 17518/16 as 1916 serials for C type aircraft reached no further than 9904/16 for that year. In fact 17500 was not a valid C type serial for any construction year.

However, there the mystery deepens as C.7518/16 was a Rumpler C.IV (Pfal) whereas your photo clearly shows C.I.But initially manufacturers of aircraft designed by other manufacturers, in this case Pfalz designated the aircraft as if it was their own type so in this case Pfalz C.I. Which explains the C.I. However the standard designation of this machine would later become Rumpler C.IV (Pfal) C.IV 7518/16. Source Jack Herris Rumpler Aircraft of WWI P.72

Thanks for an interesting photo.

Regards,

Clint

Edited by Clint

I think I can throw a little light on the possible date of the photo.  The cross marking has a broad white band outline.  According to the late Alex Imrie who knew more about the GAS than  anyone I have met before or since, that would place the date early in the introduction of the straight  cross marking, the thinner marking outline came into use a little later and became standard. It's only a rough guide, of course.

Dear Clint and Alex,

The evocative picture is clearly not as staight-forward as one would have thought...

Kindest regards,

Kim.