Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Archaeological activities

Chris Noble

Following on from Laurent's thread about archaeological activities at Auchy Les Mines, the following pictures were taken in the area of the Heidenkopf, Serre, last Friday. People were excavating the area as we viewed from afar, but unfortunately had left the site by the time we arrived. I think they had decided to terminate their activities due to the awful weather. Does anybody have any information as to what work is being carried out?

Hasten to add, didn't touch anything or jump into trenches etc, shot the pictures and off the site.

Regards, Chris.

post-4-1108387876.jpg

and an overview of the site, La Signy Farm in the background. Also forgot to mention that there is another excavation taking place close to the cemetery wall of Serre Road 2

post-4-1108388132.jpg

Dear All

I can confirm that the works at Serre were also a No Man's Land project (see my description of the group in the Auchy thread). This is part of a wider survey of La Signy that began in 2003 with works on the Heidenkopf, where we were on Thursday last week.

Results included cutting a section through both the Bayern Graben to record its dimensions and through the comms trench leading to it. In the Heidenkopf we located the SW corner of the feature and examined part of the front face which had been infilled by the mines in front of it.

For info. the pile of shell fragments pictured had been counted and recorded before being discarded (it's the same process one uses for bulk finds like tile on Roman sites, for example).

And yes, the weather finally forced us off site.

Hope that helps.

Martin

I should have added that the JCB driver was due to backfill site today but in case he hasn't and you plan to visit this week you should be aware that there are some dangerously deep holes!

For info. the pile of shell fragments pictured had been counted and recorded before being discarded (it's the same process one uses for bulk finds like tile on Roman sites, for example).

Yep, was doing pretty much that with Roman tile fragments this weekend so no-one need doubt him. There is only so much one can learn from things like tile (like that there is a lot of it!)so the recording is basic, and it then goes back in the 'ole.

Just thought I'd add that...

:D

Adrian