The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Temp/Lt John Fairweather Crichton

Skipman

I'm researching Temp/Lieutenant John Fairweather Crichton who was killed in action on the 18th of July, 1916, at Longueval, when serving with the 8th Battalion The Black Watch, 26th Infantry Brigade, 9th (Scottish) Division.  It's not possible to get his service record at the moment and may have to wait for that. I know quite a bit about his early life and that he went on to work for the La Plata Cold Storage Co., Buenos Aires. He returned to the UK to enlist in the Scots Greys. I know from his MIC that as Private Pte GS/9652 he entered theatre of war France on the 22nd of April, 1916, and that he "joined his battalion on the 30th of April 1916" and was then commissioned serving with 8th Black Watch.

Have been through 8th Black Watch Diary and the 26th Infantry Brigade Diary but it seems he is one of the few officers not to be mentioned. Is it possible to say if he actually served with the Scots Greys at all in action, or was his service only with the Black Watch. Also have no idea which Company he served with or the cirumstances of his death.

CWGC

Mike

Thanks JP that's him. The 22nd May 1915 entry is interesting, that's the earliest information on hi military career I've seen so far. Why might his MIC have him entering theatre as a Private in the Scots Greys at a later date?

MIC

Mike

Medal Roll - 2 Lieut JF Crichton, Victory/BWM, shows service in a theatre of war with Royal Highlanders and no other regt.

JP