Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1907 or p1907 with Hooked quillon

steve turbo

Morning

I have been trying to I'd this bayonet. Was given it but my grandad some time ago. Only pic I can find that looks the same is a p10907 . And help would be much appreciated.

15862535749244531640385586536847.jpg

15862536035697866111741164182324.jpg

15862536214783865200453802991909.jpg

15862536612304492102837008816571.jpg

Welcome to GWForum!

Well, certainly a P.1907, made at Enfield in May ('5') of - I'll make a guess - (19)09, but there are many others who know these things better than I do (JMB44 for example), It seems to be 'unit-marked' on the pommel, for the regiment it went to plus a series number underneath that. Again, others are more on the ball for that sort of thisg.

Trajan

My guess as to the markings on the pommel is R W F over 602.

R W F = Royal Welch Fusiliers

602 = the “rack” number, which ensured that the same bayonet always went with the same rifle.

Notice that there is no (dirt) clearance hole drilled through the pommel; these were not added until 1916.

If the value interests you, check eBay for current listings.

Regards,

JMB

49 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

My guess as to the markings on the pommel is R W F over 602.

R W F = Royal Welch Fusiliers

602 = the “rack” number, which ensured that the same bayonet always went with the same rifle.

Notice that there is no (dirt) clearance hole drilled through the pommel; these were not added until 1916.

If the value interests you, check eBay for current listings.

Regards,

JMB

Thank you jmb. Not really interested in value. Just the history of it.

Most of us collectors will say to remove active rust with bronze wool (or #0000 steel wool) and light oil.

Wipe clean, apply a coat of Renaissance Wax to metal and wood.

Then leave well alone.

Glad to know you are not interested in selling your g’dad’s gift!

BTW, the X on the other ricasso is the bend-test proof, and it is flanked by three inspection stamps.

Regards,

JMB

17 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Most of us collectors will say to remove active rust with bronze wool (or #0000 steel wool) and light oil.

Wipe clean, apply a coat of Renaissance Wax to metal and wood.

Then leave well alone.

Glad to know you are not interested in selling your g’dad’s gift!

BTW, the X on the other ricasso is the bend-test proof, and it is flanked by three inspection stamps.

Regards,

JMB

Thank you jmb.i have know idea where my g dad got it as he was in the 7th battalion robin hoods shirewood foresters regiment I think.

1 hour ago, steve turbo said:

Thank you jmb.i have know idea where my g dad got it as he was in the 7th battalion robin hoods shirewood foresters regiment I think.

Hi,

Very nice bayonet to a very collectible regiment. 

it’s really nice to know your not looking to cash in on your family history. 

If you post your G.F’s details in the “Soldiers” section of the forum, you may find it ties in with his service, if he served elsewhere before the Sherwoods

Edited by GWF1967

43 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi,

Very nice bayonet to a very collectible regiment. 

it’s really nice to know your not looking to cash in on your family history. 

If you post your G.F’s details in the “Soldiers” section of the forum, you may find it ties in with his service, if he served elsewhere before the Sherwoods

Thanks will have a look

Nice item  

Take care  not to over clean, it took over 100 years to get to where it is now

if over cleaned it will loose a lot of its character and collectibility.

regards and welcome to the forum.

ken

Royal welch fusiliers as JMB has already noted, but the R prefix to the rack number would indicate it was issued to the reserve.

I would also echo Ken’s note above about over cleaning, 

great item so thanks for sharing it with us.

Dave.

Thank you for all your help on this bayonet. Will be speaking to my dad later to see if he remembers anything or my gdad told him anything.

On 08/04/2020 at 11:44, steve turbo said:

Thank you for all your help on this bayonet. Will be speaking to my dad later to see if he remembers anything or my gdad told him anything.

Let's hope he or a relative were in the RWF!

Morning all. 

Have spoken to my dad to see if he remembers anything about the bayonet. It's a funny story. My dad says that my g dad was given the bayonet by his next door neighbor for cutting the wild rose bushes in his garden. My dad remembers himself and my gdad chopping small trees and all sorts of shrubbery with it. Surprisingly it's still in good condition. Pitty it's not my gdads from the war would of made  great talking point.

42 minutes ago, steve turbo said:

Morning all. 

My dad says that my g dad was given the bayonet by his next door neighbor for cutting the wild rose bushes in his garden. My dad remembers himself and my gdad chopping small trees and all sorts of shrubbery with it. 

Not a family piece, but it still has a great family story. 

If you’re still having problems with the roses, and other shrubbery, I’ll happily swap you a bill hook for your bayonet!

:whistle:

Edited by GWF1967

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Not a family piece, but it still has a great family story. 

If you’re still having problems with the roses, and other shrubbery, I’ll happily swap you a bill hook for your bayonet!

:whistle:

Hahaha was really hopping it was going to be a family piece I could put with the rest of the family collection. Dont really know what to do with it now. I was a 4th generation soldier so was trying to put together all ower regimental things together in one big collection.

1 hour ago, steve turbo said:

Hahaha was really hopping it was going to be a family piece I could put with the rest of the family collection. Dont really know what to do with it now. I was a 4th generation soldier so was trying to put together all ower regimental things together in one big collection.

It’s probably as close as you’re going to come to your family bayonet. 

If it were mine, I’d tuck it away quite happily, whilst I looked for a belt and frog to match. 

If you do sell,  it should go a fair way towards the cost of something you really do want.  

I have no idea at all what its worth. I did see one for £1500 but that was complete. But not 5he same regiment and it was a Canadian one. Any idea on price anyone.