Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial

Guest Hill 60

Guest Hill 60

Before anyone says anything yes I know, I'm a muppet!

I took this photo whilst driving through Scotland and I forgot to take a note of where I took it!!

It is in the Ayrshire area, either north or south of Kilmarnock.

So, any one got an idea where I took this......please?

Lee,

I'll be in Scotland for about a week in July and I'll keep on the look out for it. I'll try to remember to take a print out of your photo along and show it around to some of the locals. I'll let you know if I turn up anything.

Jon

Guest Hill 60

Jon - Thanks mate.

All I can remember is that the memorial was on the left of the road just before I left the village. There were houses on the right and fields on the left behind the memorial.

Lee

Judging by the number of names on the memorial (approx 60 WW1, guessing that both sides have roughly the same number of names, and 17 WW2) You must be looking at a large village / small town of probably 1,500 - 3,000 inhabitants.

I take it you've looked at a map of Ayrshire but no names ring any bells?

I've been down the A71 a few times and I don't remember seeing this memorial. It's well tended and it looks like a small park beside it so it would stand out so I'd rule out any villages on that road.

I hope I didn't build your hopes up for an answer!

Cheers

Adam

Guest Hill 60

Adam - I've checked the names on SDGW and CWGC but the place names don't ring a bell.

If I remember rightly, the memorial was on my left as I drove out of the village/town/place with lots of houses. There were houses on my right and the open space on my left.

The memorial is set back a few feet from the road, in a little enclosure.

Just past the memorial there was a (I think) a bus stop and then the road swung off to the right and out of the village/town/place!

It was the only memorial I took a photo of and didn't make a note of its location :unsure:.

Councils are usually responsible for war memorials so you should be able to get the answer either from South Ayrshire Council or North Ayrshire Council. If that does not work, someone at Ayrshire Genealogy is sure to know.

While rummaging around, I found a nice gallery of Scottish war memorials. It does not include yours but it is well worth a look.

HEALTH WARNING: Don heavy shades before viewing the genealogy site.