Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A little treat!! new purchases

barkalotloudly

A few new purchases …" The work of the miner on the western front " very scarce account by Standish Ball, "The New Zealand Tunnelling Company" seldom seen  and "The Roll of Honour for Loretto school 1914-1920 " the book for the 1939-1945 always makes an appearance but not this one   

12 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

A few new purchases …" The work of the miner on the western front " very scarce account by Standish Ball, "The New Zealand Tunnelling Company" seldom seen  and "The Roll of Honour for Loretto school 1914-1920 " the book for the 1939-1945 always makes an appearance but not this one   

Having cancelled all our upcoming holidays and therefore found the bank balance looking healthy it’s certainly a good time to buy more books if nothing else.

Found a couple of nice Memorial volumes, very reasonably priced, and a superb privately printed diary from a signaller with the 1/5 Gloucesters.

Only two small parcels in yesterday's post, but both worth waiting for: "Personal Experiences of the Great War (An Unfinished Manuscript)" and "Letters of a Durisdeer Soldier"

personal experiences….very scarce little book! [Laird?}

Just order Battle Summary No 5 Chase and Sinking of German Battleship Bismarck, 23-27 May 1941, next war, the more desirable 1950 edition and a third the going rate. 

7 hours ago, Resurgam13 said:

Only two small parcels in yesterday's post, but both worth waiting for: "Personal Experiences of the Great War (An Unfinished Manuscript)" and "Letters of a Durisdeer Soldier"

So! It was you. I ordered the Durisdeer Soldier only to be told a few hours later that it had gone. I did get the other memorial volume from them though.

38 minutes ago, MartH said:

Just order Battle Summary No 5 Chase and Sinking of German Battleship Bismarck, 23-27 May 1941, next war, the more desirable 1950 edition and a third the going rate. 

Harrington’s have just put up a set you might like - the complete Military Ops France & Flanders in jackets (26 vols) for a mere £12,500!

Yes, the "Personal Experiences ..." is by Frank Laird (late Royal Dublin Fusiliers) and all the way from San Diego, which is not bad considering the current state of the post.

DJ Collector - one up on this occasion but the roles have been reversed many times!

44 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Harrington’s have just put up a set you might like - the complete Military Ops France & Flanders in jackets (26 vols) for a mere £12,500!

I have nearly a full set in DJ plus Transportation in DJ. I wonder if this was the set Tom spent 30 years putting together.

2 hours ago, MartH said:

I have nearly a full set in DJ plus Transportation in DJ. I wonder if this was the set Tom spent 30 years putting together.

I rather suspect it is.

4 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I rather suspect it is.

It’s a lot of money for one in DJ.

17 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I will take two please!

48 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

I will take two please!

One to read, one to admire on the shelf!

1 hour ago, barkalotloudly said:

I will take two please!

Probably should have bought them from Tom in the first place. I wonder what he got for them. Less than half I expect.

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 08:27, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Having cancelled all our upcoming holidays and therefore found the bank balance looking healthy it’s certainly a good time to buy more books if nothing else.

Hahaaaa!!!! I'm glad to read that some very sensible people here are of the same opinion as I am…

I just haven't found a way to make this very logical explanation understood by Boyfriend - who'll have to accept two more packages next week while I'm on duty...oops.

Luckily there's Kindl… no worries of getting caught there…

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong War but revised due to the capture of German naval records, whose capture that delayed the final volumes of the Krieg Zur See til the mid 1960's. It is much more desirable that the 1942, having been improved by using the German records. A rare treat and it was a bargain!

image.png.472377298abfece7e05f111831559b23.png

Edited by MartH

20 hours ago, MartH said:

Wrong War but revised due to the capture of German naval records, whose capture that delayed the final volumes of the Krieg Zur See til the mid 1960's. It is much more desirable that the 1942, having been improved by using the German records. A rare treat and it was a bargain!

Don't forget to play this while you read:

M.

• 1 month later...

These two have just arrived and they complete my NZ WW2 Official History set

image.jpeg.820f54c181f42ce0841b746c56d1cacf.jpeg

Only need one Indian medical to complete my set of English language official histories in DW except the 480 US green ones. I do need 9 of the Army at War, but they were never in DW:D.