Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BULGARIAN ENTRENCHING TOOL/SHOVEL

ZIL

UNIT IDENTIFICATION.

I HAVE A 1915 MARKED AUSTRIAN ENTRENCHING TOOL COMPLETE WITH COVER ...FOUND IN BULGARIA .

IT HAS 406 FY SCRATCHED ON THE COVER. WAS THIS A BULGARIAN UNIT?

ANY INFO APPRECIATED. REGARDS....ZILimage.jpg.d060791ae4310039921e504becc83da0.jpg

Question its realy a  bulgarian??, they used different font of F, cyrilica alphabet, so it could be rumanian? or other country that use latin fonts , about unit stamp its or not i dont have information about. 

Edited by AndyBsk

Thanks AndyBsk,

I only go on the information regarding the manufacture and markings on the blade. Who knows who could have got their hands on it in conflict etc They were issued to the Bulgarian Army but my knowledge of that theatre of war is limited to say the least.This and your reply encourages further reading .

Many thanks Zil

There is Bleckman on circle stamp and 1915, so it should be austrian production, other side is unknown inventory number, should be better photographed. 

Thanks for that.....as you say  there are other ID marks including the one you state plus the Royal Sign of the Kingdom of Bulgaria which supports the Bulgarian connection.

The cover is also marked Theaterkunst...a German maker of high quality theatrical costumes..founded in 1907.They made items such as this cover during the war.

Unfortunately all this does not help in identifying what the scratched number and letters mean.

I will keep looking.

Regards Zil