Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Sydney Terry XXXV Brigade RFA

Mikemole

Researching my Grandfather, any information of pre WW1, and also of his service in France and Flanders would be greatly received.

Gunner Sydney Terry 676

Part of the BEF in 1914 (7th DIV, 35th Brigade, 12th 25th 58th Batteries Woolwich). It would be great to discover which battery he was part off. 

We believe he was possibly a reservist prior to outbreak of war, but again any information from that period would be fantastic.

Many thanks Mike

• kenf48 changed the title to Gunner Sydney Terry XXXV Brigade RFA
  • Admin

Welcome to the Forum. I've changed the title of your post to more accurately reflect your search

Ken

Thank you George, sorry I should have mentioned I do already have some of the records from ancestry, but that is about it.

I have just started a link  from a site I set some years ago for my father, https://sites.google.com/site/robertjohnterry/home/sydney-terry

I have pieced together what I have so far on this site but I would like to go into a bit more detail, especially any pre WW1 records or information on his service.

Regards Mike

Edited by Mikemole

Welcome to the Forum Mike,

A pre War number as low as 676 puts Sydney enlisting in August 1899.

This would also mean he extended his service beyond the usual 12 years in order to be called up in 1914.

Any ideas how I would get information on his pre WW1 service, would that be on Ancestry? I am no longer a paid up member so don't want to waste money if there's no more information than I already have.

Thanks  

I am not sure there will be much. He may be traceable in the 1901 and/or 1911 census in a military [or civilian census entry]; in 1911 possibly no longer in artillery but a reservist [I think most 1899 enlistments were usually for 7 years + 5 years in Reserve to make 12yr total]. This depends on many things, as some military returns do not provide full names [only initials].  I have not been able to spot him in the Artillery Attestation files..

There is also no real basis for guessing what battery/brigade he may have served with prewar, as no connection  to 35th Bde can be assumed if mobilised in 1914.

If in army when married that might be traceable and a lead to where living at that time .. which in turn may suggest a possible unit(s)

This is Sydney William Terry  b.Eastry 1882 ?

Edited by battiscombe

Mikemole

Is there are family information which would allow us to try to trace him through the Census returns? Parents' names, middle name, siblings, place of birth etc this could give a lead as to pre WW1 service as Battiscombe has suggested. And presuming he died in Kent in 1948?

George

Thanks for your response, I've dug up some family information from my brother, hopefully it will be of use.

Firstly (my mistake) Sidney Robert Terry and not Sydney. 21/12/1881- 07/01/1949

Born:  Wrotham heath, Kent.

First Marriage:  15/07/1902, Mary McCawley. Longford, Ireland.

Second Marriage:  04/08/1914, Ellen Anne Elizabeth Mills. St'Mary's Church, Swanley, Kent.

Parents: Samson Terry 1833-1900,  Hannah Woodbridge 1841-1887.

Siblings: (from first marriage) Margaret Mary Columbia Terry 1905-1991, Agnes terry 1907-1950, Thomas Sidney terry 1910-1941.

Thanks again Mike

A bit more information to add.

Margaret M C Terry born in Farnham, Surrey.

Agnes terry born in Colchester, Essex.

Thomas S Terry born in Dartford, Kent.

50 minutes ago, Mikemole said:

Margaret M C Terry born in Farnham, Surrey.

Mike,

That is the Birth Certificate you should obtain. He is almost certainly still serving (at Aldershot) and this could give his unit.

The same could be true for the birth of Agnes in Colchester as there are barracks there too.

It also looks like he spent some time in Ireland prior to his marriage in 1902 and he may be on the 1901 Irish Census.

He is easy to locate under his full name in the 1911 Census in Farningham and no longer in the military.

It seems there was an Artillery barracks in Longford, Ireland. It would make sense if he was posted there and where he met his future wife. I've been searching available records for Longford but nothing yet.

I see that in1903 [I do not seem to have the Army List for 1902], 149th Battery - at that time part of 50th Brigade RFA, was stationed at Longford [the other batteries of the brigade, 150th and 151st at Athlone]..they had moved to Bulford by 1904

Edited by battiscombe

We've located a copy of his wedding certificate and great news, he was married on 15th July 1902 in Longford, Ireland which I think pretty much puts him in the 149th battery.

I now know why I managed to get the spelling of his name wrong, this document he is Sydney and not Sidney.

On this medal register some of them have the same army no whilst in the same regiment, why would this be?

S Terry2.jpg

20 minutes ago, Mikemole said:

On this medal register some of them have the same army no whilst in the same regiment, why would this be?

The numbers were issued more than once. Main sequence from 1 to 99999 restarted in late August 1914.

Additionally, L prefix for locally raised brigades and W prefix for Welsh Army Corps (38th Division), mostly issued during 1915