Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who said "It takes 10,000 Casualties to train a General"

sheldrake

• Admin

The quote is, “It  takes 15,000 casualties to train a major-general”and is attributed to Marshal Ferdinand Foch.

Presumably translated from the French.

It is reported he made the remark to Joffre during the Battle of the Marne.  The observation accurately  reflects the ‘learning curve’ of the Great War, but it is difficult, at least in English,  to pin down the veracity and context of this frequently quoted statement.

Ken

interesting… can't seem to find the quote in French.

I will look for it, got a book on Foch

M.

I am reminded of Foch’s reply to Wilson’s question, What is the smallest British force that would be of assistance?:

”A single British soldier - and we will see to it that he is killed.”

One cannot help but wonder what would have happened if the Brits had taken him on that offer... Tirez votre plan !!! 

M.

Thank you all. Maybe it is one of those apocryphal quotes that reflect what people think ought to have been said.    There are similar problems finding exactly when Foch actually sent his famous quote about "My left giving way, centre barely holding I am attacking etc".

The 1951 War Office Publication  "The Development of Artillery Equipment and Tactics" cites a The Journal of the Royal Artillery volume LXXX 1943 p 274 for the following quotation " IN the French Army, where artillery is the dominant arm...the infantry were told that unless 10 per cent or 15 per cent of their casualties were caused by the fire of their own guns they were unlikely to be successful."   So what was the original French source, if it existed?