Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16416 John Henry Baugh York and Lancaster Regiment

JoshGE

Hi all, this is my first post as I am new here, so please excuse me if I use any incorrect terminology! I've not been able to find much at all about my great great grandfather's service and before I found his war pension record on Ancestry I didn't even know he served in the first place. I can't view the record now as I am not currently subscribed but I think I remember it saying he had a "smashed foot" as a result of a bullet wound and poor vision in one eye in his war pension record. This is all I have been able to find out so far and any help would be greatly appreciated in finding anything else at all about his service and/or a date/event linking to his wounding.

Edited by JoshGE

Hi and welcome

if you click the Long Long Trail tab at top of the page there is lots of information on how to research.

Give us his date/place of birth and someone is sure to help.

regards

Jon

Edited by jonbem

Welcome

Here is a starter for you from Find My Past

First name(s) John Henry
Last name Baugh
Age 39
Birth year 1875
Birth county Staffordshire
Birth country England
Service number 16416
Regiment York and Lancaster Regiment
Unit / Battalion 3rd, 7th Battalion
Year 1914
Residence town Walsall
Residence county Staffordshire
Residence country England
Series WO 363
Series description Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'
Archive
The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

George

MIC on Ancestry shows entry to France 13 July 1915

15 Star roll HERE

BWM & VM Roll HERE

Edited by jonbem

1 hour ago, jonbem said:

Hi and welcome

if you click the Long Long Trail tab at top of the page there is lots of information on how to research.

Give us his date/place of birth and someone is sure to help.

regards

Jon

Thanks Jon, I'll have a poke around there and see what I can find. I've just resubscribed to Ancestry so I can get a better look at that 38 page pension record and I'll report back anything new that might help: He was born in Bloxwich, Staffordshire, England, on 18 June 1886. Discharged 23 February 1919 from 3rd Battalion York and Lancs Regt. In his pension record he said he has a "GSW head" then underneath in brackets "(due to)" - I'm assuming GSW is short for gunshot wound as he uses this a lot and there isn't much space on the record. He also says "Injury to right foot (accident)". Posted for duty at Pontefract  6 November 1914 in category (or grade) a. He also says "defective vision" and that the origin of that disability was 5 September 1918 at what looks like gougecourt? - he then says what I am guessing is the same place name but this time it looks to say foujicourt? He was then transferred to Woolwich hospital. It then goes on to say he has a GSW scar just above his right eyebrow. His defective sight was estimated to last 12 months. He says both eyes affected by gas shell in September 1918 and I think the injury to his right foot was described as happening in 1916. He said he served in France from July 1915 to February 1917 and then again from August 1917 to September 1918 as a private. He says again "Wound in head, both eyes defective, instep of right foot smashed". Hospitals he was at appears to be ?Vimezeux? in France and Hardelot in France as well as Wangford hospital Suffolk, and Woolwich war hospital. It also says he joined 7 York Lancs so I assume he joined the 7th Battalion first, then it says he was transferred to "3/". It says he was also treated for 64 days at Bomenend Depot, Ripon for what looks like "trench fever" from 18/5/17-20/7/17. Other sicknesses were gonorrhoea from 10/9/17-8/10/17 at Brighton Grove Military Hospital Newcastle-on-Tyne and then again from 15/10/17-12/11/17. Also syphilis from 28/3/18-6/5/18 at the same place. He was treated at Brook War Hospital, Woolwich for his affected vision in both eyes from 29/9/19-12/10/18. The disease is listed but I can't make it out, it almost looks like Shlew? A description is again given but i can't read it. It then says again GSW Brook War Hospital, Woolwich treated for GSW head 29/9/19. The link to the pension record (and medical records attached to it) is here: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1114&h=82938&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true

Edited by JoshGE

Also on FMP

image.png.5402c13c10697d19dcfb7cb0a82a5506.png

George

3 minutes ago, JoshGE said:

gougecourt

Possibly Gouzeaucourt

have a look at

https://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm

Results for search Gouzeaucourt

Place Map Sheet # Map Squares
Gouzeaucourt 57cSE2 Q36
Gouzeaucourt Wood 57cSE2 Q28

And he was a very naughty boy too!

George

49 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Possibly Gouzeaucourt

It could well have been Gouzeaucourt if he only ever knew the pronunciation rather than the spelling which is likely. Also is there any way I can access the York and Lancaster war diaries for the 5th September 1918? I'm not sure what battalion he was in at the time but I should think either the 7th or the 3rd and assuming they were in different places at the time it shouldn't be too hard to find out. I have also attached the section on his war pension record where the place of wounding is named. Thanks also for finding his MIC and medal rolls!

49 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

And he was a very naughty boy too!

That's one way of putting it! :lol: 

JHB.png

Edited by JoshGE

War diaries on Ancestry

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/60779/

or on National Archives for a fee I believe is £3.50 each if digitised

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=7+battalion+York+and+Lancaster

5 sept 1918

HERE on Ancestry

Hi

Were his parents John Henry and Mary Ann Baugh of 23, Cope Street, Bloxwich ??

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

23 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Where his parents John Henry and Mary Ann Baugh of 23, Cope Street, Bloxwich ??

That is his parents for sure and I believe that is their address too, thanks for finding the exact one! If you found anything about John related to this please do share. :thumbsup:

Hi,

IF the details I posted are correct, his brother, Enoch, was killed in the war and is commemorated on the Walsall and Bloxwich rolls of honour.

Here is what I have on him,

Enoch BAUGH

Private 4287

1/5th Battalion, King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Died in France on Saturday 8 July 1916

A native of Bloxwich, Enoch was the son of John Henry and Mary Ann (née Kenny) Baugh of 23, Cope Street, Bloxwich, his father being a coal miner.

A miner at the Walsall Wood Colliery, Enoch was married to Sarah Jane Wilkinson in 1905 and had five children. His last address appears to be 65, Burton Street, Moorthorpe, near Pontefract, Yorkshire where he was continuing his trade as a miner.

Enoch enlisted in the Army at Moorthorpe on Sunday 2 May 1915 and succumbed to injuries received on Wednesday 5 July 1916 during the Battle of Somme in the 44th Casualty Clearing Station.

At 6pm on Saturday 1 July 1916 Enoch’s battalion moved from their assembly trenches in Aveluy Wood to assist in an attack on Thiepval on the first day of the Battle of Somme. Not being required they were directed to relieve units in Thiepval Wood.

At 4am on Wednesday 5 July 1916 “A” Company attacked the German trenches by the Ancre supported by “B” Company. The attack was met by shrapnel and rifle fire from shell holes resulting in all the officers becoming casualties. The Germans not only halted the attack but made several counter attacks on the British lines, actually entering the trenches. Fierce fighting took place before the Germans were ejected.

Casualties amounted to 5 officers killed and 8 wounded with 269 other ranks being killed, wounded or missing.

During the engagement Enoch was wounded as described in a letter by his officer to Enoch’s widow,

“I am very sorry to have to tell you that he died of wounds received on July 5, whilst attempting to carry bombs through shell fire to his comrades who were hard pressed, through the want of ammunition, to keep the enemy from regaining his trenches, which we held. I did not see him after being wounded but was told that though badly hurt it was not dangerous.”

The War Diary records,

“1 July 1916 - Arrival in assembly trenches at 3am without any casualties. The bombardment was very intense. The battalion moved out of the trenches about 6pm orders having been received to assist the 32nd Division in the attack on Thiepval. On arrival at Black Horse bridge this order was cancelled. Shell fire caused 20 casualties.

At 11.30pm the battalion was ordered to take over the line east of Thiepval wood and arrived at the North Bluff when this order was cancelled as 36th Division had evacuated the enemy trenches. The assembly trenches in Aveluy Wood were again occupied between 3 and 4am on the 2nd.”

2 July 1916 - The battalion ordered to take over the Thiepval Wood sector of trenches, Relieve to 9th R.I.R.s. Relief completed about 9pm without casualty.

3 July 1916 - “C” and “D” Companies relieve two companies of the 4th Yorks and Lancs in the German ‘A’ line of trenches. The night was quiet and there were no casualties.

4 July 1916 - Heavy rain. Enemy made several attacks on our advanced positions which were repelled after several bombing encounters. Lt. J.N. Walker was killed by a shell near Paisley Dump. His body was not found until the following day.

5 July 1916 - An unsuccessful attempt was made at 4am to seize more of the Germans ‘A’ system of trenches northwards towards the Ancre. The attack was made by “A” Company with “B” Company in support. The assault was met by a heavy shrapnel fire and by snipers in various shell holes. Unfortunately all “A” Company officers became casualties. Captain J.W. Walker missing, 2nd Lt. W. Royle killed and Lts. Lister and Austin wounded and J.N. Smith also wounded.

The Germans thrice counter attacked and thrice obtained a footing in our trenches, but were promptly ejected.

Casualties during the day were heavy. Amongst the officers lost were Captain E.R. Creyke, 2nd Lt. M.W.P. Emerson, Lt. S.D. Somerville, 2nd Lt. Harpley (attached M.G. Company) killed and 2nd Lt. H. Batter, 2nd Lt. Motram, 2nd Lt. S.W. Stokes, 2nd Lt. Wade and 2nd Lt. G. Lingham wounded.

The battalion was relieved in the line ‘A’ trenches by the 4th K.O.Y.L.I. in the afternoon.

Other ranks killed, wounded and missing amounted to 269.”

Enoch is buried in Puchevillers British Cemetery in Grave I.D.38 . He was 28 years of age.

His widow married John Hale at Hemsworth, Yorkshire in 1919.

Can you tell me the name of John Henry's wife, please and do you have a photo of him ??

Regards,

Graeme

baugh e.jpg

Puchevillers 1.D.38 Baugh a.jpg

Edited by GraemeClarke

9 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Here is what I have on him

WOW! Thank you so much for finding this Graeme, I didn't even know Enoch existed! I haven't yet done much research into my Baugh line of the tree as I've been focusing my research on others as of yet, but I think I will have to do a lot more research into this side of the family now - his story is an interesting and sad one to say the least. Where did the first part come from before the war diary excerpt, I'm guessing it was from a newspaper by the sounds of it, or did you put it together? I would also be interested in where the photograph came from too and if a better quality image exists so I can upload it to Ancestry.

15 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Can you tell me the name of John Henry's wife, please and do you have a photo of him ??

Since both the subject of this thread and his father are John Henrys I'll give both, John Henry Sr was married to Mary Ann Kenny (the one you have already specified above) and John Henry Jr was married to Mary Lyons. I do not have any photographs of any of the Baughs past my great grandad Daniel Baugh who moved down south to Sussex just before the outbreak of the Second World War. I am still in contact with family up north however and will try to get in touch about any photos they might have of either of the John Henrys or even Enoch.

Morning,

The picture was a direct computer link from the Walsall Observer so there is no better picture in the newspapers. The info, again, was

from the newspapers and Ancestry.

Regards,

Graeme

• 2 years later...

Hi josh . This is my great great  grandfather .  His son john william is my great grandfather  and  his  son bernard  is my grandfather   lolx

Hi  graham  unfortunatly  no  the picture you have is the only one i can find  

Are  you also  related  to john  henry  graham?  

On 07/04/2020 at 23:48, JoshGE said:

I didn't even know Enoch existed! I haven't yet done much research into my Baugh line of the tree as I've been focusing my research on others as of yet, but I think I will have to do a lot more research into this side of the family now

Enoch BAUGH, 4287, KOYLI

His widow and family's pension card [the most complete of several] - should help with a few more names and DoB

image.png.bd407d63025de4fd3445a23fe46e6f5a.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

DoB, 4-5-86, is his widow's

SA [Separation Allowances - typically higher than a pension] was typically paid for about six months [to allow for calculation of pension] before a pension and allowances started - as seen here

50F [Form 50F] was used to trigger transfer from AP to pension & childrens allowances [typically paid until they reached 16]

N/N [Noted for Novel] shows that special considerations/calculations were required

She applied for an increased AP/APW [Alternative Pension Widow's] - it would appear she was not successful [One half of proven prewar/service income would have have to have exceeded the standard pension & allowances for an AP to kick in at that level] - another card shows some of the calculation [just before she remarried]

As has been mentioned above and can be seen she remarried HALE [this other card gives the date as 6-3-1919] - at this point she would have lost her widow's pension [and received a remarriage bounty of one year's pension] whilst the childrens' allowances would have continued to be paid to her.

DEAD 1932 shows the claim finally became dead/ended - would appear to match the youngest child reaching 16

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo