Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Royal Rifles with RE Sapper link

SixStreetsHistory

I have a copy of a paybook for Wright Moss (R13809) For 12th [something illegible] King's Royal Rifle Corps. The first pay entry is for 11 November 1917 up to 16 March 1918 - the family story goes that he was shot across the chest by machine gun and the paybook saved his life (the story may have got expanded with telling as there are no blood stains!).  (There must have been earlier pay books as he enlisted in June 1915) . What intrigues me is that in the book there is a reference to a course he completed at Holm [Plac...?] for 1st Classification Sapper RE. It also states that he passed in drill, Musketry, bombing, bayonet fighting Gas and Wiring.  What does this mean in terms of a Sapper fitting in within the KRRC? He was a coal miner by profession if that information is relevant.

Also once a man was injured and presumably returned to UK for long term recovery how would he be assessed before being discharged? If the paybook is right he was injured about 16 March 1918 (last entry half way down a page) and his SWB discharge is dated 18 September 1918. I know men, following an injury on the front line, would on recovery,  could be transferred to a unit like the Labour Corps - presumably he was not fit enough to have this transfer. During the latter stages of his recovery would he have been allowed home leave? The reason I ask is that one of his granddaughters takes the fact that he was discharged in September 1918 as proof that her mother (Wright's daughter) is not his child as she was born 7 months after his September discharge. I am sure that it is likely he would be allowed time off once out of danger to be eligible for home leave? Someone tell me I am right to restore his reputation (or that of his wife!) !!! Does anyone have any information on this process of recovery and assessment for discharge

It appears , from his medal index card, that he only served with the KRRC. Can you post a photograph of the appropriate page of the pay book please? 

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

It is perfectly possible that he reached a UK hospital within days of injury. After the required treatment it is possible that his recovery involved recuperation nearer home so I think he's the Daddy.

My grandad lost a leg on 4/10/17 but  his treatment lasted until July '18 when had his 'tin leg'  fitted (at a military hospital close to home).

Simon

Edited by mancpal

Hi SixStreetsHistory,

1 hour ago, SixStreetsHistory said:

12th [something illegible] King's Royal Rifle Corps

Probably 'Battalion', or a shortened version of the word. His medal rolls (Ancestry Link) intimate that his overseas unit was entirely with that Battalion, though I guess that it's at least possible that an attachment to another unit might not be recorded.

...the family story goes that he was shot across the chest by machine gun and the paybook saved his life

I think that would be hard to prove, but would (for me) seems to be unlikely if it is undamaged/intact. Fold3 (link) does though have an index card which shows that he was awarded a pension due an assessed 50% disability due to chest wound/s.

If the paybook is right he was injured about 16 March 1918

I guess that would be the date that it was last 'made up'. He is named in this casualty list (free link). The date of the list would post date that of his actual wounding by several weeks. If you can find service files for other men from his regiment shown on the same list you might be able to see a commonality of wounding dates, within a few days, and make an inference about Wright.

Regards

Chris

The family remember that he had a war pension "10 bob a week" which helped keep the family going when he was on strike in the 1926 General Strike - so despite a very bad injury he went (or had to go) back down the pit in Wigan

That's interesting. 

I have a relative who served with KRRC from 1911 to 1918. MIC, Rolls only show service with KRRC. But I have a 1917 picture of him on home leave wearing the uniform of the RE which has never been explained.

The uniform must be his rather than borrowed because it has his musicians badge, marksman badge and 3 wound stripes - all consistent with what we know about his KRRC service.

Hopefully what ever the answer the original question, may help explain my puzzle.

Regards 

Alan.

Looks like Holm Place was in Kent & the Officers of 5th Bn KRRC had poultry there:

VALUABLE UNDERWOOD

..... Baulk Street, Ashford and 86. Earl Street, Maidstone BALE OF POULTRY. The Property of the Officers fith Bn., K.R.R.C., Holm Place, neer Queenborongh. OWING to unforeseen circumstances, the following Mock of POULTRY and APPLIANCES is to be SOLD, either ...

Published: Saturday 16 November 1918 
Newspaper: East Kent Gazette 

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1910-01-01/1919-12-31?basicsearch=holm place&exactsearch=false&retrievecountrycounts=false

The Long Long Trail shows both the 5th & 6th KRRC in that part of Kent throughout WW1:

5th and 6th (Reserve) Battalions
August 1914 : in Winchester. Depot/training units, they moved on mobilisation to Sheerness and remained in this area throughout the war. In 1918 the 6th Bn was at nearby Queenborough. Both were part of the Thames & Medway Garrison.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/kings-royal-rifle-corps/

That reference to Holm Place Queenborough would make sense with reference on his paybook to a training course. Anybody got any thoughts on the hole in the paybook? Would love to know your expert thoughts.  It looks as if whatever it was went right through - wouldn't seem to have offered much protection as family myth has it!

13 minutes ago, SixStreetsHistory said:

That reference to Holm Place Queenborough would make sense with reference on his paybook to a training course. Anybody got any thoughts on the hole in the paybook? Would love to know your expert thoughts.  It looks as if whatever it was went right through - wouldn't seem to have offered much protection as family myth has it!

He may have unknowingly had a near miss, and later discovered the hole in the playbook.  Retelling and family legend may have turned the pay book into a lifesaver.