Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help needed L/cpl James Shepherd leighton Army & Navy KIA

paul leighton

James Shepherd Leighton was born on 29 March 1882 in Durham. He married Margaret Shadforth on 31 July 1904. census shows he also had a child James Shepherd.

when he join the Army  his records show 5764 James Shepherd Leighton,  Durham R.G.A for 1 year 67 days 1915-16 Occupation ; fisherman

his medal is inscribed Pte J.S Leighton West Yorks Reg 57833 as is his medal index card and the medals roll.

then I found these naval records,

Did this man join the army with the T/a then on to the West Yorkshire reg then joined the navy and was killed in 1918. any help would be gratefully received

navy.jpg.a14686a10c6f9e2005cf72051dab4cfb.jpg

james s leighton.jpg

service1.jpg

service2.jpg

service3.jpg

service4.jpg

service5.jpg

service6.jpg

31793_221296-00546.jpg

j. s.jpg

Yes, it appears he had served with RGA/West Yorks until 11 March 1916 when he was discharged,

This seems to be his RNR record
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8549361

Looks like he rejoined the Navy on 13 March 1916, having previously served in 1914.

and his sons
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8471076

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8549891

The NA records should be going free before long so it might be worth hanging off paying for them for now.

Craig

19 minutes ago, paul leighton said:

Did this man join the army with the T/a then on to the West Yorkshire reg then joined the navy and was killed in 1918.

Where did the information about him being killed in 1918 come from? He isn't listed by CWGC

Is the date of birth correct?

FreeBMD have a birth by that name but in the First quarter of 1883:

Births Mar 1883   (>99%)

LEIGHTON James Shepherd  Hartlepool 10a119  

Additionally a James S. Leighton is alive in 1939 in Stockton, with a date of birth given as November 24th 1882, which is compatible with the FreeBMD entry of First quarter 1883.(You have 6 weeks to register a birth).

there seems to be a lot of different dates for this man also james.S Leighton seems to come up often, I think he had James Shepherd in 1907 and possibly his father was also james shepherd too, 3 james shepherds maybe

Your last image is the entry in the register of births of James Shepherd Leighton (presumably his father) in Stockton, in the fourth quarter of 1857 as shown by the page number 10a 93. This is confirmed by FreeBMD:

Births Dec 1857   (>99%)
Leighton  James Shepherd    Stockton  10a 93

I think the last but one image is a copy of the London Gazette confirming he had been awarded the D.S.M.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

38 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Where did the information about him being killed in 1918 come from? He isn't listed by CWGC.

navy.jpg

3 minutes ago, paul leighton said:

navy.jpg

The supplement doesn't show deaths, it's for awards.

image.png

Craig

There were children born in 1922 with surname Leighton and mother's maiden name Shadforth in that area.

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

The supplement doesn't show deaths, it's for awards.

image.png

Craig

thank you ..that clearing that up lol...three James Shepherd Leighton god knows how many J.S Leighton's . 

nightmare… thank you

James Shepherd Leighton Father) 1853 

James Shepherd Leighton 1882  joined army T/A Durham RGA 5764, then west Yorkshire reg 57833, leaves army awarded Victory & british medals then on to navy 2561 awarded DSM

James Shepherd Leighton(son) 1907  served in navy WW2

is this correct

best wishes Paul leighton

ames Shepherd Leighton Father) 1853 

James Shepherd Leighton 1882  was in the navy first up till 1914 then joined army T/A Durham RGA 5764, then west Yorkshire reg 57833, leaves army awarded Victory & british medals then on to navy 2561 awarded DSM

is this correct

best wishes Paul leighton

15 minutes ago, paul leighton said:

James Shepherd Leighton (Father) 1853

Is this correct?

No. 1857 Qtr 4. Stockton

16 minutes ago, paul leighton said:

James Shepherd Leighton 1882  was in the navy first up till 1914 then joined army T/A Durham RGA 5764, then west Yorkshire reg 57833, leaves army awarded Victory & british medals then on to navy 2561 awarded DSM

Is this correct?

Yes

16 minutes ago, paul leighton said:

James Shepherd Leighton(son) 1907 

Is this correct?

Yes

17 minutes ago, paul leighton said:

Is this correct?

Sorry, I don't know that.

14 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Is this correct?

No. 1857 Qtr 4. Stockton

Is this correct?

Yes

Is this correct?

Yes

Is this correct?

Sorry, I don't know that.

thank very much for all the members help.

Interesting and not wishing to highjack this thread. My grandfather was an Officer in the merchant Navy, but when war broke out he joined the Army. He then gets a commission by the R.N.R. and is on a destroyer. Then back to the army RE inland waterways and docks. So I think that as the OP. man was in the RNR, then he probably had no choice but to move from the Army to the navy as he had been paid to be a reservist during peace time.

5 minutes ago, Milner said:

Interesting and not wishing to highjack this thread. My grandfather was an Officer in the merchant Navy, but when war broke out he joined the Army. He then gets a commission by the R.N.R. and is on a destroyer. Then back to the army RE inland waterways and docks. So I think that as the OP. man was in the RNR, then he probably had no choice but to move from the Army to the navy as he had been paid to be a reservist during peace time.

A lot of men who got out of the army tried the navy as they had no will to go back t the trenches, even where they had no previous naval experience (I know of a few Durham miners who did so).

Craig

52 minutes ago, paul leighton said:

He was in the RNR for at least part of the war.

Craig

7 minutes ago, Milner said:

How would they get out of the Army? , did they not sign up for the duration of the war so had no option to leave the Army.

Either medically discharged or discharged as their terms of service expired (time expired TF men were not retained in the army until May 1916 and were free to leave). TF men never enlisted for 'duration of war' as service battalion men did.

Craig

• 1 month later...

Hi ,

I'm a little confused, hope you can help, After getting help from this forum on this man and finding lots of details for me. I was adding some details on him and I noticed his services papers he states that he wasn't in the navy before joining the army(question 10). Or is it a case of he didn't tell.

I can't find any details to his service in the navy before the war, but His dad also served in in the navy as did his son, all were called James shepherd.

best wishes Paul Leighton

On 04/04/2020 at 17:45, paul leighton said:

ames Shepherd Leighton Father) 1853 

is this correct

best wishes Paul Leighton

service2.jpg.1c683d7d033070a06ea6a99be4c49198.jpg