Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching a Royal Marine ?

clunt

Hello,

I'm trying to help a friend to research his great grandfather Thomas Morrison 21/01/1896 who served with 2nd Battalion Royal Marines and died on 22/02/1917 and is buried at Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension, Dernancourt, France. I've done a few minor researches for my relatives but they have all been in the Army so I'm not familiar with researching the Marines.

Firstly what service records are kept for Marines and by whom? 

Were war diaries kept as per army units?

Can anybody help with where the 2nd Battalion would have been in action at the time of his death (21/01/1917) presumably near Dernancourt.

Apologies if this has been covered in another post (I did try searching first)

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

Chris

Thomas died of wounds on 22 February 1917 but the date of his wounding is not recorded. On 17 and 18 February 2/RMLI were involved in the RND's Action of Miraumont on the north bank of the River Ancre. 2/RMLI remained in the line after the action until they were relieved by 7th Royal Fusiliers on 21 February. Thomas could have been wounded at any time  in this period.

His RMLI ledger record is here - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7825283

2/RMLI War Diary is here -  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355462

The Fleet Air Arm Museum has an Attestation Pack of papers for Thomas but their enquiry service is closed down for the foreseeable future. Try there when their website offers the service again.

Thomas first joined 2/RMLI at Gallipoli on 2 September 1915.

CWGC records 45th and 56th CCS as being at Dernancourt at this time.

Edited by horatio2

Horatio2 thank you so much!! this will keep me busy for a bit.

Best regards

Chris

Edited by clunt
typo