Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Leicestershire regiment

Peterhastie

Does anyone recognise the photo, or are they able to date it. One man appears to have a 1914 or 1914/15 star ribbon,

although no one else has anything. There is supposed to be a man called John Burdett on it, 2nd right on the back row.

Ive suggested 9804 John Edward Burdett b1892, served 1913-1919, but this has been dismissed as the John Burdett they want was born 1900.

91292316_1402878676564215_8091169772311412736_o.jpg

Edited by Peterhastie

A few dates to help narrow down 

2nd Battalion
August 1914 : in Ranikhet. Part of 20th (Garhwal) Infantry Brigade, 7th (Meerut) Division of the Indian Army.
12 October 1914 : Division landed at Marseilles for service in France.
Moved to 28th Indian Brigade in Egypt, 7 November 1915.
Early December 1915 moved to Basra in Mesopotamia, rejoining 7th (Meerut) Division.
Landed at Suez on 22 January 1918 and took part in Palestine campaign.

John

Thanks John, I'd looked at the LLT info for 2nd Leics and saw that.

9804 J.E. Burdett joined the Bn. 12/12/1914 in France, but also served 1st, 8th and 5th Bn's.

If that is a 1914 or 1914/15 Star, when were they first issued? I thought all there medals came post war.

More info 2nd Leics., post war

In July 1919 it was sent to India where it served for the next four years in Delhi and Jhansi. In October 1923 it went to Khartoum in response to unrest in the Sudan involving Egyptian and Sudanese troops.

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/history-of-the-1st-and-2nd-battalions-the-leicestershire-regiment-in-the-great-war/?fbclid=IwAR0Bt9T5TPFNbbLKQR3PJbEfyO9KXqySKjziqI80TmyRf4jlPyMarDALJ_Q

Edited by Peterhastie

• Admin

The 1914 Star riband authorised 10 December 1917

The 14-15 Star November 1918

The BWM approved April 1918 but first 250 miles of riband issued 4 August 1919.j

so if it is 14-15 Star photograph dates post July 1919 and , the ribands probably followed them to India.  The soldiers in the photograph look very young.  There was a protest regarding the India posting, a number of men felt their demobilisation would be delayed.

Ken

2 hours ago, Peterhastie said:

but this has been dismissed as the John Burdett they want was born 1900.

Any more info. on this John Burdett b. 1900? And any other reason for dismissal other than the two-year difference?

Mike

10 hours ago, Langdon said:

Any more info. on this John Burdett b. 1900? And any other reason for dismissal other than the two-year difference?

Mike

8 year difference, JE Burdett was born c1892.

All the info

John Burdett, b. 22 Feb 1900, Barwell, Leicestershire. Apparently he's 2nd right on the back row.

Surely, if he did serve, he should appear on Ancestry's "UK, Military Discharge Indexes, 1920-1971", but he doesn’t.

Edited by Peterhastie

• Admin

Hi Peter, I have found a John Burdett age 10, living in Barwell 1911 census. He is listed as grandson to John W Burdett age 57. There is also another man here listed as son of John W Burdett. His name is William Burdett age 27. I can find nothing on John Burdett in any military record or book to my disposal. Should we be looking for William age 27?  If @Frogsmile sees this picture he may be able to tell us more about the uniforms? The picture to me looks post WW1, not by much, 10 years or so, just a feeling. The wristwatch  worn by the Cpl seated front center looks out of place somehow. Regards, Bob. PS; There are 50 odd men named Burdett on the MICs, in the Leicesterhire Regiment.

Edited by Bob Davies
to add PS;

• Admin
13 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

The picture to me looks post WW1, not by much, 10 years or so, just a feeling.

If it was ten years post WW1 would we not expect to see at least one soldier in the group wearing a BWM and VM ribbon?

Ken

• Admin
6 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

If it was ten years post WW1 would we not expect to see at least one soldier in the group wearing a BWM and VM ribbon?

Good point Ken. :-) Regards, Bob.

• Admin
On 03/04/2020 at 21:45, Peterhastie said:

Does anyone recognise the photo, or are they able to date it.

Hi Peter and all, I have been looking through copies of the "Green Tiger" As Burdett is a common name in the Leicestershire Regiment there are quite a few entries. None so far that would relate to the man from Barwell. I did find a picture of the 2nd Battalion Leicestershire regt scouts during their time in India circa 1913. The uniforms are very similar if not the same as the OP. As they are in a picture from circa 1927. Here is a link to the Green Tiger and a Pte Burdett 1913/14.  Regards, Bob. https://royalleicestershireregiment.org.uk/archive/journals/green-tiger-1910-1918/1914/231235?q=burdett

Edited by Bob Davies

• Admin

Hello all, I just found this online book and it seems appropriate to share it on this thread. "The Leicestershires beyond Baghdad" I have not read it yet, though I am sure it will be of interest. Regards, Bob.  https://archive.org/details/beyondbaghdad00thomuoft/mode/2up

Edited by Bob Davies
The link did not work at first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hi STG, great find, that certainly is the man. Funny old thing that I forgot to look for his details in the most obvious place :-) Thanks for enlightening us. Best wishes, Bob.

5 hours ago, SmallTownGirl said: