The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Edwin Howard - help please

pudsey63

I am researching a man called Edwin Howard, born in 1898 in Hawkley, Hampshire. Son of Albert and Elizabeth. Brothers Henry and Willie died during the war. He is named alongside them on the Hawkley war memorial having died in 1933 as a result of his wounds, aged 34. There is an incredible photo of him on an Ancestry family tree in his wheelchair.

However, I haven,t been able to find out anything about his unit or service so far. Both his brothers served with the Hampshire Regiment so he may have done too. 

Can anyone help? TIA.

There is a an Edwin Howard in the Medal Index Cards in the Hampshires but no other details with which to prove it is the same man. There are also hundreds with the same name from other units. Have you thought of local newspaper archives relating to any of the 3 brothers as a notification about 1 of them may mention something regarding the other 2.

Of course determining his service number would be handy.

Simon

Thanks Simon. It is doubly frustrating because I usually have access to the local museum archive but obviously it’s all closed down at the moment. I’m more used to finding men who didn’t survive, and realising how little you can do without a service number. 

1 hour ago, pudsey63 said:

Brothers Henry and Willie died during the war.

Outside chance, but do service papers for either of those two survive? If so they should have next of kin details at the time they enlisted, if the right pages have survived, and so might show Edwin's unit if he enlisted before them. Also hopefully Army Form W.5080 setting out surviving next of kin for the deceased soldier and so Edwin should be on there along with age and address. Those were mainly completed by the next of kin in mid to late 1919 and so if Edwin was badly wounded he might already have been discharged by then. But if that was the case then there should be a Pension Ledger Card for him which hopefully will be one of the large number indexed on Ancestry and available to view on their sister site Fold3.

If his parents lost two sons they may also have claimed a Dependants Pension, (as in 'they were financially dependant on them'), in which case you may find a Pension Ledger Card \ Dependants Pension Card in the name of parents Elizabeth or Albert, which may also reference Edwin as well as the two dead sons.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Assuming Henry is Henry George Howard. died on 08 Aug 1916, #12939, then I can't see any pension claim.

Craig

There is a Medal Index card for an Edwin Howard who was Private 45540 Hampshire Regiment and then Private 44233 Worcestershire Regiment. Received the Victory Medal and British War Medal.

I don't have any experience with the Service Medal Roll for the Worcestershire Regiment, (Ancestry only) but could be worth a try to see if it shows actual Battalions served with in both Regiments.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Amazing. Thank you! Now I can put them onto my map. 

1 minute ago, PRC said:

There is a Medal Index card for an Edwin Howard who was Private 45540 Hampshire Regiment and then Private 44233 Worcestershire Regiment. Received the Victory Medal and British War Medal.

I don't have any experience with the Service Medal Roll for the Worcestershire Regiment, (Ancestry only) but could be worth a try to see if it shows actual Battalions served with in both Regiments.

Hope that helps,

Peter

1st Hants, 10th and 14th Worcs.

Craig

Quick update, I pinged off a message on Ancestry to the owner of a tree who had a photo of Edwin. He replied really quickly and has confirmed what you all just found out! So huge thanks, I don’t know how you do it. I don’t want to presume to use the picture without his permission, but here’s a link to it if you’re interested to put a face to the name. Edwin appears on one of our local war memorials even though he died in 1933, and by the look of it he has every right to be there. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/114157000/person/380136199317/facts