The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

25402 2nd Cpl Richard Edward Gurney 423 Field Co Royal Engineers Military Medal

I wonder if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction to be able to find out what someone did to be awarded a MM. He later went on to be awarded a MBE which has made me interested to find out all his history

Name - Richard Edward Gurney

Regiment Number 25402

Regiment Royal Engineers  

Battalion 423 Field Company  

Rank2nd Corporal  

Medals Military Medal

I have looked in the London Gazette but I couldn't find him there even though it should be listed on the 23/7/1919 , I have found he suffered a gunshot wound on  4/5/15 and was discharged 19/11/1919 with Varicose Veins. I have done a newspaper search but found nothing. I am guessing the War Diaries may help I have tried looking but couldn't find the one for the date he was wounded and would it have been awarded so long after ? 

Any help given to point me in the right direction of where to look next would be brilliant.

Thank you so much

Welcome

He is named in the London Gazette 22/07/1919    Issue 31469 p 9361    No Unit shown but it records that his nok lived in Clerkenwell. I will check the WDs later today.

Brian

EDIT LG 1919

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

London Gazette MM here (23.7.1919) :

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31469/supplement/9361

With it being announced in July 1919 it may have been awarded for general good work during the war?

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH
date added

The great War Medal Collectors Companion .MM London Gazette No65 23 July 1919.

"This is a Major France and Flanders  Gazette for Oct/Nov 1918"

3 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

"This is a Major France and Flanders  Gazette for Oct/Nov 1918"

Sorry if I am being dim, but what does that mean?

BillyH.

8 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Sorry if I am being dim, but what does that mean?

BillyH.

Howard Williamson, author of "The Great War Medal Collectors Companion" has done a great deal of MM research and has been able to work out when the MMs that appear in most of the Gazettes actions were by use of the Registered Paper references on the cards, etc.

So, for example, he has concluded that the above Gazette contains (probably mainly) MMs that were awarded for action in France and Flanders during October and November 1918.

Steve.

Gotcha Steve, but there is a subtle difference between major and Major though and I read it the wrong way. :thumbsup:

BillyH.

Esmerelda

His Service Record shows that he was wounded in the elbow in 1915 serving with 9 Field Company. (There is a hospital admission which confirms this). He was posted to 423 Field Company on 17/04/1918 but there is nothing to indicate what the MM was awarded for.

The War Diaries can be found on Ancestry by using the Browse box and selecting Royal Engineers - 55 Div - piece 2916. 423 FC is from p 521 to 705/836.

The Commander Royal Engineers 55 Div War Diary can be found via the Browse Box. Select Divisional Headquarters - 55 Div - Piece 2913/1

Also in Div HQ - 55 Div you will see piece 2910/1-5 which is the WD for the Adjutant and Quartermaster General. 25402 L/C R Gurney is named in the Routine Orders 10/12/1918 under Honours and Rewards - MM. (p 609/770). 

Brian

EDIT: The four RE Tunnellers awarded the MM who are named in the Routine Orders 10/12/1918 were from 170 TC, according to the LG 31469. The WD for 55 Div HQ General Staff records that as 164 Infantry Brigade and 166 Infantry Brigade advanced into a line of villages on 07/10/1918, parties from 170 TC attached to each Brigade did good work in finding and dealing with booby traps. 

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

18 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Thank you so much Brian for taking the time to look that up for me, it is so helpful and will look up those War Diaries. Thank you also to the others that took the time to answer. 

• spof changed the title to 25402 2nd Cpl Richard Edward Gurney 423 Field Co Royal Engineers Military Medal