Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3d Map software

Fedelmar

I am wanting to know two things please :)

a) the name of a software program that can create a 3D map from a scan of an old map and the cos in AUD please?

b) would the software be able to create the 3D map from this particular map please?

Not sure whether anyone here will ahve an answer, but many universities now have  "Map Librarians" many of whom are currently trapped working at home. They might be the cohort of people from whom a best answer is available. if you try near to home, you might get a really helpful offer if you are lucky. I was fortunate to be able to get some large maps scanned free of charge  by a helpful map librarian. A commercial enterprise would have wanted far more than I could or would afford for the task.

Keith

You probably want some form of GIS program (geographical information system). It looks like ArcGIS http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/ can do this, but that's paid software. I'm not sure on a quick look at the documentation whether QGIS (the main free alternative) would be able to do this https://qgis.org/en/site/about/index.html .

Thanks Keith and Robert ... fingers crossed.

I have had pretty good results with Google Earth Pro with the maps used as overlays on satellite imagery, but I would have to say that the areas covered were much smaller than on the map in your post (e.g. the Suvla Bay area).  It would be a case of try it and see, or cut your map up into manageable blocks then stitch the 3D images together in something like Photoshop.

John

Thanks Jon ... didn't work for this project though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fedelmar, I think you'd need to overlay that image onto 3D terrain. Obviously the land is somewhat different now than it was in 1915 (I've struggled overlaying aerial photos onto present-day satellite views of Helles, the area between V and W beaches in particular). Google Earth is a good way to do this.

Thank you.

It actually has to be for an original map so Google Earth wont work.

I have a map contact and will ask him. Send me a message if I appear to have forgotten!

Wonderful ... thank you :)