Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Allerton Cemetery, Merseyside

stuart rowles

Hoping to get a photo of the headstone for John Rowles, ex Mercantile Marine, who died 1956, age 84.

He is buried in Section 2D, Plot 168.

I am informed that his headstone has fallen over so I am anxious to get a picture before it is taken away.

I have a detailed plan showing exactly where it is. It is very easy to find.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

From the info on the other forum, it has more than just fallen over.  It would be helpful if you described it here, as it was found.

Many of these ‘fallen over’ stones have been toppled, for safety, by cemetery staff.

I am locked in for the duration or would have gone with a camera.

d

• 1 month later...

A picture has been sent from the wonderful site 'Find a Grave'

The stone has been broken but the top which lists his wife is very readable and has been replanted, if that's the right way to describe it.

Anyway I am delighted with this picture.

John Rowles 1872-1956.jpeg

1 hour ago, stuart rowles said:

A picture has been sent from the wonderful site 'Find a Grave'

The stone has been broken but the top which lists his wife is very readable and has been replanted, if that's the right way to describe it.

Anyway I am delighted with this picture.

It doesnt look like a broken stone. The very top of it is chamfered, and the spacing suggests that hers is the only name on it. As she died 16 years before John, its a high probability that he was buried in the same plot but his name hasnt been physically added to the grave.

The same person on FaG posted photos of my G-Grandparents graves from the same Cemetery, which up until 2 weeks ago I didnt even know their names but thanks to Ancestry......

Edited by temptage

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 09:31, temptage said:

It doesnt look like a broken stone. The very top of it is chamfered, and the spacing suggests that hers is the only name on it. As she died 16 years before John, its a high probability that he was buried in the same plot but his name hasnt been physically added to the grave.

From the style of the stone, I agree with temptage. Just his wife's name will be inscribed on it (unless John Rowles' name was added to the other side of the stone, which I've never seen before with that type of headstone).