Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dedicated Spanish Flu Hospitals in the UK.

Laird of Camster

Am curious to know whether there were any dedicated Spanish Flu hospitals in the UK and of so were where they situated? 

My maternal grandmother's - see below - death certificate gives that she died at 'Bruce Castle Temporary Hospital' in Tottenham.  It's possible that it might have also been used as a war hospital prior to the Flu pandemic, but - not that it's conclusive it wasn't - there doesn't appear to be a mention of it as such in the 'Hospitals in the United Kingdom' thread or the linked Wikipedia entry (which doesn't mention its use as a flu hospital either...)

NigelS

Edited by NigelS
typo correction

35 minutes ago, NigelS said:

My maternal grandmother's - see below - death certificate gives that she died at 'Bruce Castle Temporary Hospital' in Tottenham.  It's possible that it might have also been used as a war hospital prior to the Flu pandemic, but - not that it's conclusive it wasn't - there doesn't appear to be a mention of it as such in the 'Hospitals in the United Kingdom' thread or the linked Wikipedia entry (which doesn't mention its use as a flu hospital either...)

NigelS

I discovered recently that I was born in a 'Temporary' hospital that had been put up in 1938/9 to deal with the expected casualties from bombing.

Just imagine the horror of it. A government that thought ahead.

My great grandfather served with the RFA mainly in Belgium, but in 1918 he contracted the Spanish Flu, he died in Spring of 1918 in Catterick (thats what is on his death certificate), my question is would he have been in a civilian or military hospital? I have researched my gt grandfather and his final days/weeks are the only missing pieces. 

He is buried in Princess Rd cemetery in Seaham Harbour, his home town

Thanks 

Kevin

Medical Services; Diseases of the war available free online or as download pdf is quite informative on the Spanish flu.

Aldershot Camp was used but slowly every available space had been taken over as extra wards.

Eventually, suffering troops had to be accommodated outside in autumn under makeshift cover. It was noted that these had a better recovery rate.

TEW

10 hours ago, TEW said:

Medical Services; Diseases of the war available free online or as download pdf is quite informative on the Spanish flu.

Aldershot Camp was used but slowly every available space had been taken over as extra wards.

Eventually, suffering troops had to be accommodated outside in autumn under makeshift cover. It was noted that these had a better recovery rate.

TEW

Thanks Trew that is very interesting!!!

11 hours ago, kevin donaldson said:

My great grandfather served with the RFA mainly in Belgium, but in 1918 he contracted the Spanish Flu, he died in Spring of 1918 in Catterick (thats what is on his death certificate), my question is would he have been in a civilian or military hospital? I have researched my gt grandfather and his final days/weeks are the only missing pieces. 

He is buried in Princess Rd cemetery in Seaham Harbour, his home town

Thanks 

Kevin

Hi Kevin, would be interested to know how his death is recorded on his MIC. I have seen several which just say died (cause not recorded), but would interested to learn whether someone who died of the flu is recorded as such?

On 04/04/2020 at 09:49, Laird of Camster said:

Hi Kevin, would be interested to know how his death is recorded on his MIC. I have seen several which just say died (cause not recorded), but would interested to learn whether someone who died of the flu is recorded as such?

Hello, the MIC states 'Died 30/6/18' thats all, his death cert states influenza 

Regards

Kevin