Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Ships

CMiles

In "Q Ships and their story", by E Keble Chatterton, there are several narrative entries for Q5 (ex-SANDYFORD and aka LODORER and FARNBOROUGH) and Q,6 (aka ZYLPHA),

Edited by horatio2
Add ZYLPHA

Thank you for your reply. It seems my GF Chesley Miles’ service record indicates he was on the Q5 when the action occurred but not mentioned in the dispatches. Would you know if there could be a  reason for his omission? I also have newspapers supporting that too. See attached. 

8C4BF2A3-8F8E-446E-9FBA-890D87DDF01B.jpeg

C239E6DC-BF76-4C11-839A-C4BCC9E85C0D.jpeg

3 hours ago, CMiles said:

Would you know if there could be a  reason for his omission?

Presumably because his part in the action, however worthy, was not deemed to merit a special mention. Merely carrying out your duty was not sufficient reason,

He certainly was in Q.5 (FARNBOROUGH) for the famous action against U.83 on 17 Feb 1917 in which Cdr Gordon Campbell won the VC. At the end of the action Campbell sent his memorable signal to Vice Admiral Queenstown "Q.5 slowly sinking respectfully wishes you goodbye." (She was salvaged and survived.)

I can see no evidence in his record for service in Q.6 (ZYLPHA) which was sunk on 15 June 1917 when he was on the books of HMS VIVID III at Devonport as a supernumerary. He was then drafted to the Newfoundland RNR drill ship at Devonport and thence to his RCN service. RCN recortd here:-

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/royal-canadian-navy-1910-1941-ledger-sheets/Pages/list.aspx?Surname=miles&OfficialNumber=1542&

The newspaper clipping is also a bit odd: it records his move to England in April 1916  followed by three months training [April to June], yet states that he was "blown up" in the hired Fleetwood trawler HMS KUMU in May 1916. In fact KUMU hit a mine on 19 May 1917, two RNR ratings being killed. KUMU did not sink.

It is quite possible that he was in the crew of KUMU when he was borne on the books of HMS VIVID III (although the record does not show this). KUMU was parented by VIVID III from 1 Oct 1915 until she was paid off on 9 Jul 1917 - a date which matches his draft across to HMS BRITON. This time on the books of BRITON (Jul  to Nov 1017) matches the four months "at home" mentioned in the newspaper before his draft to Canada.

In summary, although the record is missing some detail, this Newfoundland RNR man had an 'interesting' and dangerous war.

I note that the RNR Medal Roll shows that your GF qualified for the Victory and British War Medals but these were never claimed or issued.

This info is very useful. While researching to write a bio on my father, I ran across Ches’ info that I didn’t know. I’m certainly further ahead as to my family history.

please note attached book reference to Ches being on the Q6. I’m attempting to contact the author for his source. 

The information about his medals is interesting. Not that it’s an important issue but I would be interested in the path forward to claiming this recognition for the family. Any suggestions?

Again I thank you for you time and Herculean efforts. I own you a coffee or more. I’m usually in Newfoundland but when this health crisis is over we plan to travel. 

Be safe and God bless.

4556611A-7AD1-4BF5-9E62-E60458F57F27.jpeg

25 minutes ago, CMiles said:

please note attached book reference to Ches being on the Q6.

Thank you for the book extract. It is puzzling that he is not listed in Q.5 (FARNBOROUGH), on which his record is clear, but is listed for Q.6 (ZYLPHA), of which his record makes no mention. I wonder if the author has them confused and would be interested to know his source.

1 hour ago, CMiles said:

The information about his medals is interesting. Not that it’s an important issue but I would be interested in the path forward to claiming this recognition for the family. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately the UK MoD is not issuing WW1 medals which were unclaimed 100 years ago. Excellent replicas can be purchased in UK. I have used and can recommend - https://www.worcmedals.com/  but an online search wiil find others.

Anyone researching Q ships will benefit from looking at this file: ADM 186/430 (once restrictions are lifted of course)

Post War the Admiralty Controlled Book C.B. 01486 O.X.O. (which detailed actions between  “Q Ships and U-boats) was decanted into ADM186/430. While many of the attributions and U-boat identities are incorrect, this file remains an invaluable source on the British side.

Edited by Hyacinth1326