Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Instances of missing pages from Silver War Badge rolls

Keith_history_buff

In prior years, I have had some instances of seeing a reference on a MIC to a Silver War badge. I have then searched the SWB roll and had no results. I have tried to manually scroll via the Ancestry images, and have encountered a few missing pages in respect of the South Wales Borderers.

Have other people had similar experiences?

15 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I have been passed the name of a man who served in the South Wales Borderers by a family member who lives in South Wales. They said their Great Grandfather was an Italian national. They were also under the impression that he had been killed in WW1.

Chesery Macchiavello served in the South Wales Borderers, and has three MICs on Ancestry. One of these cards advises that he is on the BWM & VM roll for the South Wales Borderers. A further MIC states that he was on the 1914-15 Star roll too, having deployed to France on 17 May 1915, and a note states that he was discharged on 15 August 1918. There is a third card which gives Private Macchiavello 17659 a Silver War Badge medal [roll folio] reference of J/2470/1

Unfortunately, I do believe that folio is missing from the Silver War Badge roll. I think I have seen this same reference for other men on MICs and have been unable to find the details from the Silver War Badge roll dataset.

Edited by Keith_history_buff
Added in red font

I am not sure if it is the same thing. It was some time ago. I followed an ancestry link which gave me the wrong page (at least my man wasn't on it and the numbers of others on the page were not particularly near). Unfortunately using the left and righ arrows produced pages which were apparently out of sequence.

RM

26 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

In prior years, I have had some instances of seeing a reference on a MIC to a Silver War badge. I have then searched the SWB roll and had no results. I have tried to manually scroll via the Ancestry images, and have encountered a few missing pages in respect of the South Wales Borderers.

Have other people had similar experiences?

His surname has been misspelt on Ancestry as Macchiavellow. 

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=2456&h=432915&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=dxN3691&_phstart=successSource

Aha, so he enlisted 17 September 1914.

Thanks!

It's giving a discharge year of 1919 on the transcript rather than 1918.

There are some notes at the front of various Silver WB rolls that list missing pages/lists.

I tried for sometime to show that there were badges issued that would be on the missing pages and therefore unidentifiable to a person.

I failed in this task which is a good thing. I think the missing pages contained names of men believed to be entitled to a SWB but found by AG 10 not to be. Each name crossed out and if page contained only such entries it served no purpose and was destroyed.

I did find some oddities;

Same badge issued to 2 men (1st man died between compilation and issue so badge returned and re-issued).

Loss or theft of badge and 2nd badge issued (not standard practise). 2nd badge number annotated on list but not indexed online.

Large batches (whole lists) where men were ordered to return their badges circa mid 20s. Never got to the bottom of that one but I guess they were issued in error.

TEW

• 2 weeks later...

Two men that I have come across where I did not see a corresponding entry in the Silver War Badge rolls

Alfred Attwell, 4670 South Wales Borderers. Discharged on 1919-01-11

He is on list J/1213/1 according to his MIC, which corresponds with archive reference WO 329/3094  (  J 1201/2-1417/1 )
I can't find that folio, and have no idea what his Silver War Badge number would be

John James Ward, 10153 South Wales Borderers. Discharged on 1917-09-06

He is on list J/906/2 according to his MIC, which corresponds with archive reference WO 329/3093  (  J 801/1-1200/2 )
I can't find that folio.
I have a badge number of B14881

Do you mean you can't find the WO329 rolls or the actual pages of the rolls?

It should be possible to browse for the roll and then flip through the pages.

Some units do not show on the Ancestry browse thing but they are within the correct roll. Not sure that would apply in this case.

TEW

Thanks for the above. I do not have access to Ancestry at present. I had been comparing against the Naval & Military Press transcription of the roll. I think this is licenced by FMP too.

The entry for Alfred Attwell is crossed through and he was not issued with a silver war badge and the badge for J J Ward (B14881) was issued to him as TR/4/34381.

Steve

• 7 months later...

I have seen two men who appear on the rolls, yet their names do not appear to be indexed:

Archive reference: WO 329/3089

Folio:  J/789

Infantry Record Office: Shrewsbury
Regiment: South Wales Borderers

Ancestry image:    397 of 410

10855 William Henry Jones 222579

13173 Charles Hayward 222580