Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonets

francis

Hi I have just started collecting ww1 ww2 items and I have purchased 2 bayonets in France and not sure of make and origin the closest I can find is the German k98 Mauser 

if anyone could help that would be great 

1048810F-E776-4955-B43B-D805FE814BB5.jpeg

6CB57CF7-FD00-4820-8085-8FFFC43DBD89.jpeg

12ACD002-13F6-4277-BDA8-9E5473C00CE9.jpeg

B75D9650-4D26-450D-80E2-BDBD2C9A5254.jpeg

Hi, and welcome to GWForum!

The first one looks to be a British or Commonwealth P.1907 of some kind, but we need better photographs of both sides of the ricasso, the flat area between the crossguard and blade proper, to be certain of its date. These are not my specialty!

Second one is a  French Berthier, type 3, the first type introduced in 1892, the second in 1912, the third in 1915/1916. If you search the GWForum for Berthier you will finds lots more information! 

Happy bayonet-hunting = and be careful you will soon find it an engrossing hobby as you fine the main series of bayonets and then the variants... E.g., at some point you will want a Berthier Type 1 and a Type 2 - the first and the third are, in my experience, the harder to find...

Trajan 

The one marked NWR is a WW2 British Enfield bayonet  for the smle made in India (NWR=North West Railways)

The other is a Berthier Carbine bayonet.  That one is WW1 era.

1 minute ago, 303man said:

Top one is WW2 Indian Short Magazine Lee Enfield Bayonet NWR = North Western Railways. The second is a French Model 1892/15 Bayonet

I knew I'd seen that NWR mark before but couldn't remember what it was! Thanks!

I assume the Berthier is a second variation with removed hook that was done in field. The piece looks like reblued on blade so it could be postwar refurbishment too. 

Edited by AndyBsk

Francis-

Here is what they would look like mounted.

(More or less, mine are slightly earlier variants).

20200328_150902.jpg

49 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

I assume the Berthier is a second variation with removed hook that was done in field. The piece looks like reblued on blade so it could be postwar refurbishment too. 

Possible, but the factory-3rd type - IIRC - has smaller rivets on the crossguard like this one.

Julian

Very difficult to provide an identity from a single close-up photo, like this one.

You would be well advised to post full length photos showing the blade/cross-guard/hilt!

EDIT I see now that it has been identified as WW2.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943