Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal card

Guest gomersall

I have just got my Grandfather medal card and wondered if you could help me read the information on it

His name was Sidney Enser regt number 2689 and it says that he was a pte in Notts and Derby reg but als a LT in Northumberland Fusiliers

By the victory it says North Fusiliers off112 page 148 and in the comments box comm 31-01-17 and underneath i v 331 w 3/10/21 ?/5/7209

He has 15 by star and the theatre of war was 1 date of entry 28/02/15

i had always been led to understand that he was in the Notts and DerBy reg as he was from Nottingham but had no idea he was also in the North fusiliers. for what reason would a soldier have changed regiment or was it general practice ,and what exactly did being commissioned mean ?Is the date 3/10/21 when he left the service? my mother always thought he was in India

anna

post-23-1108317518.jpg

Hi

Welcome to the Forum

Your grandfather started out as Private 2689 with the Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment. He went to France with them, arriving on 28/02/1915 thus entitling him to the 1914/15 Star. He was later commissioned on 31/01/1917 as an Officer in the Northumberland Fusiliers. It was very common to be commissioned into another Regiment. He would have first been a 2nd Lieutenant but he reached the rank of Lieutenant by the end of the War.

Steve

OOps , slight correction to the above post.

The London Gazette website show that he was promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to Lieutenant on 01/02/1919. The promotion was gazettted on 12/09/1919. It also shows that at that time he was serving with the 3rd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.

His service record does not appear to be available at the National Archives so there is a possibility that he was either serving after 31/03/1922 or that he left the Army but rejoined or was recalled to serve again, possibly in the 2nd World War.

Steve

Dear Steve

many thanks for your help,my Grandfather did serve in WWII in the Foresters based at Nottingham ,where would his service record be kept if they are not at the national archives?

ANNA

Hi Anna

They will still be held by the Ministry of Defence :-

Army Records Centre

Ministry of Defence DR2b,

Bourne Avenue,

Hayes

Middlesex UB3 1RF

Steve