Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any information on German field hospitals near Courtrai (Kortrijk)?

Musketeer33

I have just been given a transcription of a letter sent by a great uncle in January 1917. I don't yet know his regiment. Part of the letter reads 'I was shot through the hip on or about the 20th Oct and was left on the field when picked up by the Germans. They took me in an ambulance to a dressing station and on the 3rd nov. I was taken into a German Field Hospl; rather a rough and ready affair in the warehouse of a factory. There I remained for 6 weeks and then was sent here.' Here is shown as 'Notre Dame Hospital, Courtrai'. Can anybody provide any information about the Field Hospital please?

Hello,

I have a lot of information about German hospitals during the First World War.

The Onze Lieve Vrouw Hospitaal in Kortrijk is the ancient city hospital, by no means a "warehouse of a factory"... I'll check whether I can find which unit was manning the hospital at that point.

Some pics during WWI: https://beeldbank.kortrijk.be/index.php/image/watch/87ea45705aea4aabaffbd4c97aec0018337b0982f2e54fdd9cc0624a50f01941b3a952485ed94f2bace01c4d86c918cf?tab=related_items

browse.jpg

Jan

12 hours ago, Musketeer33 said:

German Field Hospl; rather a rough and ready affair in the warehouse of a factory

Can anybody provide any information about the Field Hospital please?

I too was about to provide a location for the Notre-Dame Hospital, Courtrai, when I realised the OP is actually looking for field hospital locations, ie the location his great uncle was sent to for 6 weeks when initially wounded.  When and if the OP learns the regiment, this may narrow it down.  In the interim, on the hunch that the British often chose similar facilities for their hospitals, here is a map of 7 hospital locations in Kortrijk, courtesy National Library of Scotland, from January 1918.  L'HÔPITAL NOTRE-DAME is at the centre of the image:

image.png.250964535bf41e82ba61b6373fec8f4e.png

Hello,

There was a German field hospital stationed at the said hospital in Kortrijk. German field hospitals and other medical units used existing civilian hospitals in a lot of cases.

Jan

After reading again, I see that it should be a letter from January 1918 and that the man was indeed at another hospital for 6 weeks before being taken to the field hospital in Kortrijk.

Edited by AOK4

In order to answer the original poster's question, it would be helpful if full information about the British soldier in question would be given, especially unit. With a unit, I can trace back the German unit opposite and hence the medical lines of that German unit.