Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified Scottish Unit

FROGSMILE

Can anyone assist with the ID of this unit.  I think it’s probably a TF, or Special Reserve battalion in Britain.  The piper sat at centre with the only visible sporran is key I suspect.  However, I can’t make out with positivity the precise cap badge, and the combination of kilts and plain glengarry narrows down options a little, although we know that for a period a utilitarian plain glengarry was issued, regardless of regiment, which doesn’t help.

The sporran is reminiscent of a type in the A&SH museum (enclosed), although I do not know if it is in fact the same one.  The 3 black tassels were common to the 93rd Highlanders pipers and pipers of the Highland Borderers Light Infantry Militia.

599FDE1A-1AA5-4A3F-ADAA-08F3C6ED61AF.jpeg

A1966983-1D39-43FB-8367-6208A71083AB.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'm thinking 6th Bn. HLI as a possibility based on the plain glengarries, and the piper's sporran pattern. 

The cap badge would also be approximate size.

Pity that the sett of the tartan cannot be seen.

17 minutes ago, Ron Abbott said:

I'm thinking 6th Bn. HLI as a possibility based on the plain glengarries, and the piper's sporran pattern. 

The cap badge would also be approximate size.

Pity that the sett of the tartan cannot be seen.

I think you mean the 9th (Glasgow Highlanders) HLI.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think you mean the 9th (Glasgow Highlanders) HLI

No.....I mean the 6th Bn. HLI

8 minutes ago, Ron Abbott said:

No.....I mean the 6th Bn. HLI

City of Glasgow?  I see what you mean, one wore MacKenzie the other Government.

Thank you, I think that makes sense with the shape of the badge, which isn’t like BW.  If the pipers wore that style of sporran then I think you’ve cracked it.

N.B.  Found a photo of pipers. You’re bang on the money.

8F86D07F-6EE2-4723-AE14-4E9EF94D4ACB.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

City of Glasgow?

Yes.......

Not saying it is, merely suggesting it as a possibility.  1/6th, 2/6th or 3/6th?

A kilted unit, plain glengarries, size of the cap badge and especially the piper's sporran with three, long black tassles.   

The piper looks a fair age, or is that just because of the condition of the photo? 

7 minutes ago, Ron Abbott said:

Yes.......

Not saying it is, merely suggesting it as a possibility.  1/6th, 2/6th or 3/6th?

A kilted unit, plain glengarries, size of the cap badge and especially the piper's sporran with three, long black tassles.   

The piper looks a fair age, or is that just because of the condition of the photo? 

I agree that the piper appears to be long in the tooth so I think the photo probably shows 2/6th or 3/6th.  Thanks again, that was a good spot.  6th HLI had slipped my mind. Interestingly they seem to have worn Atholl bonnets early in the war? 

391D4607-09D2-415C-9ADD-BEAAED46C70C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE