Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Luke Ashmore - 2th Batt. Irish Guards. Service No: 8815

GJW

Hi,

Wondering if someone can help me with the above soldier. It appears to be no Medal Card or Roll available so doubtful if he served overseas, although he did make it to the UK. All I can find was that he died on 3rd September 1915 at Joyce Green Hospital in Dartford. He had completed less than 6 months service. Taken from Effects Register that exists 

Strangely he is listed on a CWGC Wall Screen - does this mean there is no actual grave for this soldier?

I will take anything anybody has to offer on this soldier.

Thank you

Gerard

Ashmore, Luke. (Carlow). Private. Irish Guards. 3rd Reserve Battalion. 8815. Date of death; 03/09/1915. Age;- 26. Born;- Palatine, Carlow. Enlisted;- Naas, County Kildare. Residence;- Knockbawn, County Kildare. Death;- Died at home.

Next of kin, etc;- Son of Mrs. Florence Loftus, of Knockbane House, Palatine, Carlow.

Grave/Memorial;- Screen Wall. Cemetery;- Gravesend Cemetery, Kent, and buried in Joyce Green Cemetery, Kent. Also listed under Palatine/Urglin on the Great War Memorial, Milford Street, Leighlinbridge, County Carlow.

Thanks Tom. 

As I understand it, the service records of the personnel of the Brigade of Guards - both prior to 1920 and after - were transferred in September 2018 to the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow, so you could potentially apply for a copy of his service record. 

Thank you Keith, interesting to know. Alas it is £30 per request (just checked). As I am researching in excess of 150 soldiers it is too much for me :(

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Looking at a few service records for Irish Guards men with 88** numbers from these hits, it looks like he may have attested in early June 1915. For example:

8809 Byrne - attested 3.6.1915

8814 Hassett - attested 7.6.1915

8816 Whelan - attested 8.6.1915

Further sampling of the records may help to confirm.

Regards

Chris

Very clever Chris. I take it you put in the asterix in to get the results around the base numbers e.g. 88 in this instance. Does this work in both FMP and ancestry?

Gerard 

Hi Gerard,

3 hours ago, GJW said:

Does this work in both FMP and ancestry?

I can't seem to get it to work in Ancestry. I think that their search engine is less flexible.

Regards
Chris

I see that the asterisk can be used on the search engine of British Army Ancestors, and can still be used on TNA's Discovery search, too.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Central panel on memorial wall, Gravesend Cemetery.

Memorial Wall (6).JPG

Luke Ashmore, Memorial Wall, Gravesend Cemetery.

Memorial Wall (3).JPG

I remember from older journals of the North West Kent Family History Society that lots of research has been done into the history of Joyce Green Hospital & associated burials. Sorry I can't remember the authors name, but it was comprehensive research.

https://www.nwkfhs.org.uk

Thank you Travers, I found out that he died from pneumonia after contracting measles. We are in the process of identifying the actual plot - hopefully we can manage that.

• 3 years later...

LUKE ASHMORE WAS MY GREAT UNCLE, HIS MOTHER MARRIED MY GRANDAD AFTER HIS FATHER DIED OF TUBERCULOSIS. I HAVE ALSO BEEN TRYING TO GET MORE INFORMATION ON HIM.

guards.jpg.beb34e2863f7509c550c81d9da0f6633.jpg

2 hours ago, corisande said:

3 hours ago, corisande said:

LUKE ASHMORE WAS MY GREAT UNCLE, HIS MOTHER MARRIED MY GRANDAD AFTER HIS FATHER DIED OF TUBERCULOSIS. I HAVE ALSO BEEN TRYING TO GET MORE INFORMATION ON HIM.

Thank you so much for this information. I can now add this to my ancestors information. You are very kind, anything else would be greatly accepted. X

After Lukes father John died from Phthisis in 1889 his mother, Florence, nee Goldie married John Loftus, a farmer from Palatine, County Carlow on 28/11/1892.

Hi Noreen,

Luke has a section in the book "The Forgotten" - It recounts all the men and women from Castledermot who served in WW1. He is also named on the Memorial Panels erected last November in Castledermot Community Centre (Teach Diarmada). The panels were paid for from the proceeds of the book. I believe there are a few copies left - https://www.theharvestpress.ie/shop/p/country-feast-set-3nybt-gnw4d-4jmt8-hyhyc-jnb3a-pp2eg-7e9tl-64xc6