Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Random Americans

Steven Broomfield

While visiting Magdalene Hill Cemetery, Winchester, this morning I came across these two Americans from the Great War. I know nothing about them, or why they are there, but I thought someone might be interested and might know more about them.

P1020089.JPG

P1020099.JPG

LOVELL, Newton H., Battle Creek., MICHIGAN, Sergeant, DIED OF DISEASE

image.png.7a1b1cb1c387fbd44fc0b7afca76e853.png

Sgt NEWTON HATHAWAY LOVELL

There's quite a lot on Ancestry but I haven't got the international version. What I have gleaned is:

• Born 01 May 96 in Holland, Michigan. 1910 onwards: lived in Battle Creek Ward 3, Calhoun, Michigan, USA. 
  • May have travelled to England in 1917. 
  • From Find-a-Grave: 'HD OTS. CO 146TH INFANTRY USA, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/146th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States) for some info about the regiment. I'm not sure about the abbreviations but HD may be Holding Depot, OTS may be Officer Training School, CO may be Company. Died at Easton Military Hospital, near Winchester. He was 23 years old and was buried on 14 Jan 18 at Easton. Body exhumed on 16 Apr 20 and reburied in Magdalen Hill Cemetery.

There's an informative family tree on Ancestry and someone with the international version will be able to open the various documents: https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/person/tree/7949464/person/360040797614/facts.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

1 hour ago, Acknown said:

• From Find-a-Grave: 'HD OTS. CO
  •  
  • HD may be Holding Depot, OTS may be Officer Training School, CO may be Company. 

Looking at the grave, and again at the picture, I think it's a Q, rather than an O, so I make it Headquarters Company. (Mrs Broomfield thinks it's a Q, too)

1 hour ago, Acknown said:

Sgt NEWTON HATHAWAY LOVELL

Died at Easton Military Hospital, near Winchester. 

Easton is a (very) small village about a mile away across the fields.

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

LOVELL, Newton H., Battle Creek., MICHIGAN, Sergeant, DIED OF DISEASE

image.png.7a1b1cb1c387fbd44fc0b7afca76e853.png

I assume 'Iron Belt' is a place.

Thanks both for the info.

Newton H Lovell, Sgt, HQ Company 164th Infantry (41st Division US National Guard) sailing on Leviathan out of Hoboken, NJ on 15 Dec 1917. Also, Soldiers of the Great War, Vol 2 - Michigan has him listed as 'Died of disease'. 

US Army Transport Service 1917 - Newton H Lovell.jpg

Edited by Cpl Coleman
Change font

Thanks. Interesting.

Incidentally, I have just noticed that Private Blise's headstone has the abbreviation of Private as 'PTV' rather than 'PVT'.

• Admin

Iron Belt is in Wisconsin. Herman was reported as having died from disease in the Winona Republican Herald of 13 December 1918 FMP link

More detail from Hurley Iron County News 21st December 1918 (image courtesy of FMP)

image.png

• Admin

Image taken from Escanaba Daily Press 16th January 1918 (courtesy FMP)

image.png

and from the Warren Morning Chronicle 16th January 1918 (courtesy FMP)

image.png

There appears to have been some American presence at Winchester in WW1.

Robert Henry Fretwell was born in Buxton, Derbyshire on 19 February 1895. His family migrated to the US in 1898. He enlisted in 1915, and served with the King's Royal Rifle Corps until 22 May 1918 when he deserted. Was he in Winchester at the time?

He has a card on Ancestry, in its "New York, Abstracts of World War I Military Service, 1917-1919" collection. It states that he 'Enlisted in: R Aat Winchester, England 27 August 1918'. Frustratingly for the researcher, he was unassigned. He returned to the US in March 1919 and was discharged on 6 April 1919. 

According to his Draft Registation Card dated 05 June 1917, Herman Blise was born 25 May 1895 and employed by the Montreal Mining Company in Hamilton, Wisconsin. He was single, medium tall, stout and had blue eyes and medium brown hair.

Company K  343rd Light Infantry sailed aboard the SS Olympic from New York on 16 September 1918.

The peak of the influenza epidemic in the autumn of 1918 hit Morn Hill especially hard .... In late September the troopship Olympic delivered another load of doughboys to England . The flu "blazed out during the last days of the voyage" .......

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fKm4BgAAQBAJ&pg=PT105&lpg=PT105&dq=herman+blise,+ww1&source=bl&ots=4oLG78uii6&sig=ACfU3U1M0WFbndS6luf-PzG3G39h3ru1vA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiR-e_07LLoAhVIShUIHacNCqoQ6AEwAXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=Blise&f=false

By 1919 more than 500 Americans had been interred at the cemetery.

JP

Thanks for that. Interesting. Once we're allowed out again I must go and have a good look round.