Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Honour Goblets Antiques road show

Gardenerbill

Nice pieces. Said to the wife they were Ehrenpokal. Expert said they were Honour Goblets. She glazed over.

I'm quite happy in my world of militaria's splendid isolation nevertheless. 

I did think they were only a WW2 item. Didn't know WW1 pilots got them.

Dave

Edited by depaor01

It was also stated that if they had been named they would have been worth £15,000 each.

Mike.

Officially, they are called Ehrenbecher (für den Sieger im Luftkampfe). There is a version in silver and one in iron (late war). An iron one can be bought for less than 8,500 Euros, the one in silver costs a bit more.

They are never named (engraved), there was a paper award document coming with them.

11 hours ago, MikeyH said:

It was also stated that if they had been named they would have been worth £15,000 each.

Mike.

Actually, he said that if they could be connected to a named pilot.

I would also like to comment on the very nice rampart/wall gun, the expert failed to mention that it was an East India Company piece.

10 minutes ago, derekb said:

I would also like to comment on the very nice rampart/wall gun, the expert failed to mention that it was an East India Company piece.

Rather fancied that myself, and for once I think they actually under valued something!

12 hours ago, AOK4 said:

They are never named (engraved), there was a paper award document coming with them.

as with collecting WW2 German medals, the value is in the paperwork, medals being made anywhere in Eastern Europe and of different standards , not being engraved the only real medals have makers mark stamped on the rings but could be faked, presumably its not as easy to fake paperwork. Having said that, British WW2 are worth more with boxes, tickertape etc but the paper certificates are often seen faked on ebay in an attempt to increase value. At least the majority of WW1 Commonwealth and WW2 South African and Australian medals are named..apart from the unwanted renamed and erased.

1 hour ago, caulkheader said:

Rather fancied that myself, and for once I think they actually under valued something!

Totally agree!

On 23/03/2020 at 18:49, derekb said:

Totally agree!

I thought so too.

But I also thought he overestimated the effective range at 400 yards. With an unrifled barrel whose round, straight and parallel condition might've been debatable from new, and a ball with a clearance fit to allow reloading in a fouled bore, a whole barn would be probably only receive random hits at such a distance, never mind a barn door; or the skills of the shooter... :D

20 hours ago, MikB said:

I thought so too.

But I also thought he overestimated the effective range at 400 yards. With an unrifled barrel whose round, straight and parallel condition might've been debatable from new, and a ball with a clearance fit to allow reloading in a fouled bore, a whole barn would be probably only receive random hits at such a distance, never mind a barn door; or the skills of the shooter... :D

I discovered some time ago, that in the days of the musket, there was no order 'aim'. It was 'level'. You couldn't aim at anything more than about 30 yards away. That was an infantryman's musket, of course.

On 23/03/2020 at 04:45, AOK4 said:

Interesting given that they did engrave Second World War ones.