Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Soldier - Anyone know the Regiment?

Roberta Pearce

Hi there

I believe this gentleman to be a relative of my Grandfather (who was Scottish.)

It was a glass plate photograph, sadly broken in a few places, that has been glued onto a sheet of clear glass (the studio name would appear to be 'Eden'.)

Sadly, we know nothing about this person - but I would love to even find out what regiment he may have been in - if this uniform gives any hints.

It may even be Pre Great War - the pith helmet I believe was also worn during the Boer War as well.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Scottish Soldier in Uniform ?Mcillwraith.jpg

Roberta,

That definitely looks to be a Victorian era uniform.

Is there an Australian connection? As although not very clear, the helmet badge looks similar to that worn by NSW Militia forces, including the NSW Scottish Rifles. They also wore a hackle on the pith helmet as shown and black watch tartan. I am not so sure about the tunic.

There was also an Eden Photographic studios operating in Sydney and Melbourne. See below an advertisement from the Sydney Morning Herald of 1900 and note the studio mark.

Also here is a link to an image of an officer, who served in the unit. Note the helmet-

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C2075213

Scott

Eden.JPG

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

WOW!  Thanks Scott & Ron - we always thought it was from our Scottish side of the family who lived in Western Australia ...... so this now opens up a whole new avenue to explore - with the NSW side of the family being to the front!!

And with that being a Sydney Photographic Studio ...... places him clearly in NSW!!

Thank you so much,

Roberta

Roberta,

Several years ago the Australian War Memorial ran an exhibition in one of the lower galleries about these early Australian Militia uniforms and the units. It might be worth contacting them and providing them with a copy of the image to see if they can provide any further information.

If you do come up with a name for the soldier, run it through the OzBoer and AIF Databases as well.

https://members.pcug.org.au/~croe/ozb/oz_boer.cgi

https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/index.html

Many Boer War soldiers later served in the AIF.

Scott

And some excellent images of insignia, including helmet plate and sporran badge.

47FED390-8AC5-49FC-B453-CCB6E659F80E.jpeg

88A9C2FA-7725-4A6A-940F-2E10980352B6.jpeg

And here some colour images of the full dress tunic courtesy of the Australian War Memorial.

EE9674A4-C5EB-4002-BF73-9DC6C64BE1B0.jpeg

E88EB830-19AD-4FFC-8477-59745FD7B90B.jpeg

443F51FA-FC61-4A6F-AB46-9BA66D66EF79.jpeg

17D9A299-BCF7-411A-BCB3-5D3940950147.jpeg

367D179D-E96C-43B1-8F5E-9815935F18DE.jpeg

WOW!  Well done!! My oldest brother now says that the WA family were originally from NSW ..... Their Scottish name was McIlwraith. 

He has put me onto another cousin who may have more info on the gentleman in the photo - it would be lovely to put a name to the face

That Group Photo is brilliant, Ron - and so clear.  I was able to blow it up quite a bit to see if I recognised his face in it .... but sadly, not.