Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Thinking of those affected by the Virus

KIRKY

My thoughts are with all of those affected by this Virus who make a living from WW1 particularly those in hospitality, B&Bs, Gites, Bars , Hotels, cafes, guides, house rentals etc.

Hope we can all get back there ASAP and show our support.

They have given me over 20 years of pleasure and deserve a great future.

Tony

Definitely seconded.

Thanks Tony. All my work for the next 3 months (and thus all my earnings) has disappeared. 

Currently wrestling with moral problem. Have salmon fishing booked in far north of Scotland for coming weekend. Hotel has emailed to say still open for business, will provide all meals and desperate to see us. Rivers and ghilies still taking bookings for fishing. My fishing partner letting me know that he will be most upset if I pull out and argues that we will be fishing in the middle of nowhere. My argument that we will still be interacting with people and carrying out massive 'unnecessary travel' does not persuade him. What do you all think.

Len

9 minutes ago, Len Trim said:

Currently wrestling with moral problem. Have salmon fishing booked in far north of Scotland for coming weekend. Hotel has emailed to say still open for business, will provide all meals and desperate to see us. Rivers and ghilies still taking bookings for fishing. My fishing partner letting me know that he will be most upset if I pull out and argues that we will be fishing in the middle of nowhere. My argument that we will still be interacting with people and carrying out massive 'unnecessary travel' does not persuade him. What do you all think.

Len

Would avoid hotels etc , my thoughts are that fishing on own would be OK its the afters that I would avoid! I am on a 4 day fishing trip end of April and will not stay in hotels etc but decided to use home as base and travel each day to a different place if they are open and big enough to be on own.

Tony

• Admin

I was supposed to be staying in an hotel on Dartmoor this weekend, and visiting Castle Drogo. Despite the hotel saying they were open, I cancelled the booking. My advice to you Len is cancel. I can't see my son today and for how long I don't know. As he's in Bristol and I'm not happy for him to come over , and I can't see my Dad for 12 weeks at least. I know that I deprived the hotel of money, but my safety and that of my family is more important.

Michelle

Cancel definately.

I think the key term is "No unnecessary travel" . I would class necessary travel as going to the shops (you need food to survive after all) and going to work if a key worker, everything else is gravy. The authorities in some places on the continent are carrying out on the spot fines of 600 euros and restricting travellers to a person by themselves, no couples or groups. In France it would seem that you need an attestation from the local Mayor so that you can leave your home at the moment.

The UK government really needs to clarify what it wants and enforce it, as it is all open to interpretation by the individual.

There have been reports of pubs/cafes remaining open in London and Scotland, insane behaviour.

I was due a weekend in Brittany next week, cancelled, a shame but I can always go at some point in the future when this all clears up.

The number of people we saw in groups on yesterday’s walk was frightening. In a large plantation there is plenty of room to avoid going near others and these were in groups four or more and one of eight including small children.

One young couple had their arms around one another.

Even in the village there were some, mostly youngsters, walking in groups of four or more.

Do they think they are indestructible or just being senseless?

Give a thought to the NHS staff who`ve acquired it treating coronavirus patients. One family member returns to work this week after contracting it as a junior doctor. Three days unable to get out of bed but rapid recovery thereafter.

Just now, PhilB said:

Give a thought to the NHS staff who`ve acquired it treating coronavirus patients. One family member returns to work this week after contracting it as a junior doctor. Three days unable to get out of bed but rapid recovery thereafter.

Glad they're feeling better (and in principal they are now immune in the short-term at least). Out of curiosity did they get a test ?

And those working in care homes - a lot of nurses there are dealing 30 people by themselves as the only medical staff (god help them if it hits).

Craig

Thanks folks for your replies. Took bull by the horns and cancelled. Friend upset for about 10 minutes and then acknowledged I had done the right thing. 

Hotel happy to book us in for the same weekend next year. 

If that is the worst sacrifice I have to make during this crisis I'll consider myself lucky.

Take care all.

Len

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

Glad they're feeling better (and in principal they are now immune in the short-term at least). Out of curiosity did they get a test ?
Craig

Yes. And her partner, also a JD. Two other flat mates, also JDs, told to self isolate without tests.

Raigmore hospital in Inverness has, If a post on a climbing forum is correct, 7 ICU beds. These serve the highlands and Islands including Orkney & Shetland. Any travel to the Highlands potentially accelerates the spread up there with very limited resources.

Definitely!!!! 

Big thoughts to all those out there waiting for this to be over and get to normal... as soon as I can, I'm booking a few trips to make all my pics !! 

M. 

Hi Tony,

thank you for your message, hard time here... like in so many other places. Of course everything is closed on the battlefields: museums, restaurants, etc... hard time also for the battlefield guides, most of them are self employed so they don't get anything. 

Stay strong and stay safe,

Sly

Edited by Sly

On 22/03/2020 at 15:56, Len Trim said:

Thanks folks for your replies. Took bull by the horns and cancelled. Friend upset for about 10 minutes and then acknowledged I had done the right thing. 

Hotel happy to book us in for the same weekend next year. 

If that is the worst sacrifice I have to make during this crisis I'll consider myself lucky.

Take care all.

Len

Yes - right thing. Remember too that their local healthcare system won't be set up to deal with nonresidents falling sick in numbers - though probably Cornwall and Wales have more to worry about.

Fully agree with cancelling.If you are in a remote area and have accident.....and there are comms available...in the highlands etc..it’s a helicopter recovery.Even a land ambulance is tied up when unnecessary.

Zil

• kenf48 locked this topic