Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension records - Termination of Engagement

Jervis

I cannot find pension index records for a number of men that were discharged from the Army in 1915 with “Termination of Engagement”. 

Does anyone know - Should these (Termination of Engagement) men actually be in the pension record set

The scope of the digitisation of the WFA pension records is to cover those that died. At a later date, the pension records for men who survived will be digitised.

It is a work in progress, which has yet to be concluded.

16 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

The scope of the digitisation of the WFA pension records is to cover those that died. At a later date, the pension records for men who survived will be digitised.

It is a work in progress, which has yet to be concluded.

Thanks Keith, I do understand that and maybe the ToE men are to be added. 

I have been using the pension records when researching a couple of hundred of soldiers. What I have noticed is there seems to be no pension record for soldiers who (a) deserted - which is logical (b) discharged early in the war with ToE. Which is strange. 

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the explanation is that there is a difference between an Army pension and a war pension.

If a man was discharged ToE with no war related injuries or illnesses he would be subject of an Army Pension, the same as any soldier who had been discharged  ToE before the war.

Pension index cards are for those claiming for a disability through war service either injury or illness, ie a war pension.

12 minutes ago, butler said:

I believe the explanation is that there is a difference between an Army pension and a war pension.

If a man was discharged ToE with no war related injuries or illnesses he would be subject of an Army Pension, the same as any soldier who had been discharged  ToE before the war.

Pension index cards are for those claiming for a disability through war service either injury or illness, ie a war pension.

Correct - the army service pension and the war pension were two different pension schemes.

Also, to add, soldiers who survived are not in the set that has yet been released.

Craig

3 hours ago, butler said:

Only if he did the qualifying period in colour service which was 21 years from memory. Thee normal 7 and 5 men did not get a sniff of a pension.'

Anyone T of E in 1915 was in line for conscription in 1916 unless exempt on age or fitness grounds.