Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walking the Somme

Chesterboy

Hi, 

ive just booked two places on ‘Walking The Somme’ with Leger Holidays.  

does anybody have any handy hits or advice for this tour and holiday company as will be our first time with them.  

will 

• Admin

I expect it’s been postponed  by now? 
Michelle 

At the risk of sounding harsh, it`s a very odd time to book a break in France, do you not watch the news ?

There is a page on the Leger site which covers the current health problem....  https://www.legerbattlefields.co.uk/coronavirus 

Other than that, as it`s a walking break, then a well worn in pair of walking boots, a comfortable daysack, some suitable rain wear in case of inclement weather, a hat in case of sun, and some snacks.

Double check what is included in the cost of the trip, sometimes museum entry fees aren`t.

Edited by slick63

Am I the only one that finds this thread strange to say the least?

• Admin
1 hour ago, keithfazzani said:

Am I the only one that finds this thread strange to say the least?

In fairness  to a relatively new member of the forum we don't know when he is going. St Leger are still booking this tour for June/August 2020 and June 2021 however strange that may seem given the current situation.

Ken

I have guided four of these tours for Leger and was due and still optimistically hoping to guide two this year but who knows. Walks are not too long and at a good and easy pace, plenty of stops to talk about events, accounts from soldiers and how ground affected outcomes etc. We stop at cemeteries we pass and whilst sticking to an itinerary we do have wiggle room. As above, a good pair of walking shoes or boots but you don't need to be crazy here, walking clothing and a rain proof jacket. A back pack, suncream etc. We are not on a military outdoor exercise though. As the tours go out in the summer its usually hot and we encountered plus 30 degrees recently so a good sun hat is advised in case. 

Regards.

TT  

On 19/03/2020 at 12:46, trenchtrotter said:

I have guided four of these tours for Leger and was due and still optimistically hoping to guide two this year but who knows. Walks are not too long and at a good and easy pace, plenty of stops to talk about events, accounts from soldiers and how ground affected outcomes etc. We stop at cemeteries we pass and whilst sticking to an itinerary we do have wiggle room. As above, a good pair of walking shoes or boots but you don't need to be crazy here, walking clothing and a rain proof jacket. A back pack, suncream etc. We are not on a military outdoor exercise though. As the tours go out in the summer its usually hot and we encountered plus 30 degrees recently so a good sun hat is advised in case. 

Regards.

TT  

Trenchtrotter 

thank you for your reply, do you supply a map of the route, that is taken across the battlefields, a couple of weeks before the tour starts. 

so people can have a look at the route and the surrounding areas.   I see that a number of cemeteries are by passed, will we be going into those cemeteries. 

what is do about lunch on these tours, as they say will be out in the field 

Will

On 20/03/2020 at 13:54, Chesterboy said:

Trenchtrotter 

thank you for your reply, do you supply a map of the route, that is taken across the battlefields, a couple of weeks before the tour starts. 

so people can have a look at the route and the surrounding areas.   I see that a number of cemeteries are by passed, will we be going into those cemeteries. 

what is do about lunch on these tours, as they say will be out in the field 

Will

This from their the itinerary.....

Entrance to museums, places of interest and optional excursions are at extra cost.

OPTIONAL PACKED LUNCH PACKAGE: Packed lunch package available whilst on tour approx. cost €25. This package comprises of a packed lunch on day two and day three of the tour - which includes a baguette sandwich, packet of crisps and bottle of water. It also includes a 15 page booklet. Please note this is offered as a complete package only and must be paid in Euros (cash).

We arrange a sandwich option for two days and go to St Quintin for another day. At St Q there are bakeries and cafes etc. We cater for GF also. No worries on food front. Any cemetery we pass we stop at and within reason can do others if a relative there. We supply a booklet that has maps of the walks which is part of options package. You get that option offered on route to hotel before walks start.

• 10 months later...

Does anybody think this may go ahead this year. 

im looking for general opinions and not advice to ring Leger Holidays.  

Will

If you want my opinion no. I cannot see International travel being readily available this year. I had two coach trips planned for last year, these were obviously cancelled. We have decided that spring 2022 is the likeliest time that we can re-organise a trip. Of course I have absolutely no knowledge apart from what I see in the media but it doesn’t look good.