Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Richard Hawkins

BiRD

Hello, I'm quite new here and I just want to learn stuff about WW1 and all the veterans that lived for over 100 years to tell the story. If I don't anything wrong please tell me...

So, I'm here because I watched a WW1 documentary dating back to 1998. 

There was one person there which I wanted to know about more, his name was Richard Hawkins.

I only got small pieces of information about him but very little, I didn't get his date of birth/date of death, when he joined the army, what rank he was and so on.

So, I just want to hear you guys and hear your knowledge about this lovely chap.

Thanks, it will definitely help.

🙏🙏🙏

xxx.jpg

The extra information will come in due course - someone here will almost certainly be able to build on it.

The picture seems to me to be of a Royal Fusilier officer.

Craig

• Admin

I’m sure he figured in one of Richard van Endems books

@Forton

Michelle 

• Admin

Just got home and checked, he figures quite a bit in Britain's Last Tommies book by Richard. 

Michelle 

Woah okay. Yeah, that's actually coming together now. We even have his full name.

Here's what I got so far for my work

================================

Name: Richard Maurice Hawkins

Born: 1895

Died: ?

Enlisted: 16 September 1914

Last Commissioned:

26 September 1914

================================

Were almost done. I got all of that to put into my document I made about him.

The only thing I'm missing now is when he died, I couldn't find that at all.

I assume he died in the very early 2000's

Like 2000, or 2001. I don't know. Someone will let me know.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I found it.

This says Richard Maurice Hawkins was born on 8 March 1895.

He died on 26 November 1994, aged 99.

Let me know if it's right or not.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=7q2gCgAAQBAJ&pg=PT33&lpg=PT33&dq=Richard Maurice+Hawkins+1895&source=bl&ots=16qKgJQ2we&sig=ACfU3U2GoWOvKg-ErkxBD5390B_CskxOJQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjO18CXmo7oAhXRxzgGHeiADlwQ6AEwAHoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=Richard Maurice Hawkins 1895&f=false

13 minutes ago, BiRD said:

Enlisted: 16 September 1914

Last Commissioned:

26 September 1914

Enlisted: = 16 September 1914 - wow, not sure he had any previous service and 10 days does seem extremely quick to get through officer training! ... so ???, perhaps needs must ???  [His service record at the TNA may assist - as Craig also indicated above in post #6]

Commissioned: 26 September 1914 (as a 2nd Lieutenant)

Rank: 2nd Lieutenant / Lieutenant / Captain - appears to have later risen to acting Captain with the Training Reserve - eventually reverting to Lieutenant 9 Jan 1918 (with seniority of his Lieutenancy from 1 July 1915) https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30637/page/4705 [Based on Name and regiment - note it seems he has a Military Cross, which seems corroborated by the later LG entry below with his full name]

Served with: Royal Fusiliers, King's Royal Rifle Corps and Training Reserve

Campaign medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1794217 [MIC also available via Ancestry]

Theatre(s) of war: Not specified or dated on his MIC [but must have first been between 23 November 1914 and 31 December 1915]

Awards:  Military Cross - 1 January 1917 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/13033/page/35 - as a Lieutenant with R. Fus. 

Address: 29.9.1921 [when he returned his form EF9 to request his medals - see rear of his MIC] - 105 New London Road, Chelmsford, Essex

Died:  Q4/1994 - death registered in Amber Valley [which seems to be in Derbyshire]

Does this match/help???

:-) M

Richard Hawkins was featured in a series called 'Lost Heroes of WW1' shown on Channel 5 a good few years ago.

He was captioned as being 11th Royal Fusiliers.

BillyH.

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I'm the granddaughter of Richard Hawkins as mentioned in the conversation above.

It was quite lovely to see the picture of him as he died when I was in my early teens, he was the grand age of 99.

I can try to give you any some more information about him.

My father, Keith Richard Hawkins, sadly died just over a year ago at the age of 92.

From my Dads belongings I found a pair of binoculars that my Grandad used in July 1916 at the battle of Trones Wood, along with a written description of how he obtained them.

I will follow this with pictures of the binoculars and the letter included in the case.

I hope you find this interesting.

Alexandra 

Edited by Alexandra Hawkins

• Admin

Tagging @BiRD as they haven’t visited the forum for some time. 

Hopefully the photos of my Granddads binoculars and his written note have been uploaded.

I will put what his note says, as near as I can do.

'On the 14th July 1916 during the filthy Battle of Trones Wood I needed my binoculars. Unfortunately I found they had been smashed by a bullet. I ordered Green my ....(i can't make out the word) who seldom let me out of his sight - to get me a pair of glasses - Quick.

In a few minutes he was back and handed me these.

We both survived and a few days after the battle I examined them. The heavy leather case bore the initials O.D.S I called up Green and asked him where he got them. He said from a dead German officer. I said " That's looting" He said " Well Sir you said you needed some binoculars and it was my job to obay your orders - they were no more good to him anyway "

I said well it's still looting and what about his family but my ...(can't read the word) did not appear to impress him. That was 59 years ago.

They are Carl Jena Silvarew 222428 6x 1945'

A true gent, even in battle.

Edited by Alexandra Hawkins

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Alexandra Hawkins said:

'On the 14th July 1016 during the filthy Battle of Trones Wood I needed my binoculars. Unfortunately I found they had been smashed by a bullet. I ordered Green my ....(i can't make out the word) who seldom let me out of his sight - to get me a pair of glasses - Quick.

Green my batman 

I thought it said Batman but wasn't sure that terminology would be used back then

• Admin

I think the other word could be comment. 

I remember my Grandad showing me a picture of him looking down to the trenches in the Battle of the Somme, the same as the note mentions. 

He called it his suicide time. Such horrors war inflicts.