The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Patrick Mcdonnell #4239 Leinster

Philly vaughan

Hi guys, I'm new here.. my great gran uncle was killed in guillemont on 23rd august 1916.. Patrick mcdonnell.. he was 20.. he served in the 2nd battalion of leinster.. I've downloaded his medical card.. lots of numbers and stuff I can really understand.. was wondering have he any tips or websites that would be of help in finding out more about him.. delighted to have found this site.. it's great to get an idea of what these poor men were facing and hear stories too from the front😃  thanks guys

Welcome to the Forum

Have you looked at The Long Long Trail website - a link to which is at the top of the page?

Once you have done that you can come back and ask any specific questions you might have.

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Welcome to the Forum

Have you looked at The Long Long Trail website - a link to which is at the top of the page?

Once you have done that you can come back and ask any specific questions you might have.

Thanks polar bear😃

Guess its this chap

Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians) - 2nd Battalion

McDONNELL Patrick 20 Navan Co. Meath Ireland Drogheda, Co. Louth 

Private

Killed in Action

France & Flanders

23/08/1916

Son of Elizabeth Mcdonnell, of Old Cornmarket, Navan, Co. Meath, and the Late John Mcdonnell.

73rd Brigade / 24th Division

Early August : Happy Valley.

8th August-Mid August : Carnoy area. Works between Trônes Wood and Bernafay Wood.

18th August : Attack on Guillemont (in support).

20th August : Carnoy. Works in Trônes Wood.

23rd-26th August : In front line between Trônes Wood and Guillemont.

Peronne Road, Cemetery

Edited by johnmelling1979

6 minutes ago, johnmelling1979 said:

Guess its this chap

Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians) - 2nd Battalion

McDONNELL Patrick 20 Navan Co. Meath Ireland Drogheda, Co. Louth 

Private

Killed in Action

France & Flanders

23/08/1916

Son of Elizabeth Mcdonnell, of Old Cornmarket, Navan, Co. Meath, and the Late John Mcdonnell.

73rd Brigade / 24th Division

Early August : Happy Valley.

8th August-Mid August : Carnoy area. Works between Trônes Wood and Bernafay Wood.

18th August : Attack on Guillemont (in support).

20th August : Carnoy. Works in Trônes Wood.

23rd-26th August : In front line between Trônes Wood and Guillemont.

Peronne Road, Cemetery

Wow😃 yeah that's him, I just had his number and family details and seen where he died.. your so good to share.. I can have a look at all these areas for the times.. we have photo of 3 men in uniform from guillemont, we dont know whis in it.. but will put the up later.. thank you so much john for this info😃

A map to show the area 

2024725474_Phillyvaughan.jpg.703fd695710b870939b3f7c56cb7b82b.jpg

Just now, johnmelling1979 said:

A map to show the area 

2024725474_Phillyvaughan.jpg.703fd695710b870939b3f7c56cb7b82b.jpg

Cool😃 was just looking up some bits on the long long trail website.. so much info on it.. thanks again for looking him up👍

Welcome to GWF

From his pension record. courtesy of the Western Front Association and Ancestry (Fold3) [2 x ledger records], we can see that his mother Elizabeth was born 1869.

As well as the Naven, Co. Meath address she also lived at 1 Moores Lane, Enderley, Leicestershire [believed to probably be Enderby] c.1925-1931 [when the pension record stops - might suggest she died, but would need checking]

:-) M

Edit:

Photo of his CWGC headstone at The War Graves Photographic Project https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/3973964

Edited by Matlock1418
Addition

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Patrick Mcdonnell #4239 Leinster

#4239 was transferred from no6 General Hospital Rouen to England with a GSW Leg on 12 May 1915 - at that point he was 1st battalion.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007306664%2F00268&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2FSUPP%2F137991
and the hospital register for the same incident
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2%2FGBM%2FMH106%2FMH106-299%2F0026&parentid=GBM%2FMH106%2F217071

Craig

Ive been trying to look for the August 1916 war diary page! seem to be missing so far.

31 July, They marched off to VAUX

Gap in the diary, No August diary found YET !

7 days after Patrick  McDONNELL  is killed ! but still very close the area Patrick  McDONNELL was in -

1st September at front line at Longueval trying to attack the area  WOOD LANE and ORCHARD TRENCH

John

33 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Welcome to GWF

From his pension record. courtesy of the Western Front Association and Ancestry (Fold3) [2 x ledger records], we can see that his mother Elizabeth was born 1869.

As well as the Naven, Co. Meath address she also lived at 1 Moores Lane, Enderley, Leicestershire [believed to probably be Enderby] c.1925-1931 [when the pension record stops - might suggest she died, but would need checking]

Wow😃 didnt know that either as the family still live in the house.. will have to look more into it, I think some of them went to england.. it's so great to get all this info, ye are all great to search and help😃 thank you

I sure more stuff will be found :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, johnmelling1979 said:

Ive been trying to look for the August 1916 war diary page! seem to be missing so far.

7 days after Patrick  McDONNELL  is killed ! but still very close the area Patrick  McDONNELL was in -

1st September at front line at Longueval trying to attack the area  WOOD LANE and ORCHARD TRENCH

Thanks again john😃👍

Found a book for you to read :thumbsup: should be on the pages\ and date you need! Interesting to read too

And could be evidence of how your Patrick  McDONNELL in the descripton :D hint hint

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AX--BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA238&lpg=PA238&dq=23rd+august+1916+Prince+of+Wales's+Leinster+Regiment&source=bl&ots=Viu05c78O9&sig=ACfU3U3BCV2v-t_Jle6PJGNG4OdiLYbROg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjGicaPzY3oAhXpaRUIHdAOCfU4ChDoATACegQIChAB

John

Edited by johnmelling1979

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

Welcome to GWF

Edit:

Photo of his CWGC headstone at The War Graves Photographic Project https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/3973964

Thanks again😃

1 hour ago, johnmelling1979 said:

John

Thanks again john👍

1 hour ago, johnmelling1979 said:

Found a book for you to read :thumbsup: should be on the pages\ and date you need! Interesting to read too

And could be evidence of how your Patrick  McDONNELL in the descripton :D hint hint

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AX--BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA238&lpg=PA238&dq=23rd+august+1916+Prince+of+Wales's+Leinster+Regiment&source=bl&ots=Viu05c78O9&sig=ACfU3U3BCV2v-t_Jle6PJGNG4OdiLYbROg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjGicaPzY3oAhXpaRUIHdAOCfU4ChDoATACegQIChAB

John

I'd say he's one of the two lads alright, we got contacted years ago by a guy who's dad was a stretcher bearer and he said patrick and another lynch man were killed at the same time.. Very hard reading, brilliantly described, but so hard to think of the fear they must have had😢 thanks for sharing😃

Well I'm so glad I managed to find more evidence for you to look at.

Glad its all starting to tie in..

You still have plenty more to explore as well 

I could not find the August war diary page (Must be one somewhere )when I looked earlier... which is why I tried

looking for the regiment book for you. As they are a great source of information 

Glad I found it for you

John

Nice one Jervis he's found the headstone:D:thumbsup:

McDonnell’s death is mentioned in Francis Hitchcock’s memoir ‘stand to’. Page 148 23 Aug 1916. 

The Leinsters were on the way to the front line late evening to carry out a relief when they were shelled near ‘Stanley dump’. 

“One she’ll burst right beside me, and Sgt Henry was wounded. Two fine old toughs were killed instantly, 4807 Pte Lynch a reservist who has been with the Battalion since 14 and 4238 (sic) Pte McDonnell, another fine type.”

Edited by Jervis

14 minutes ago, johnmelling1979 said:

Well I'm so glad I managed to find more evidence for you to look at.

Glad its all starting to tie in..

You still have plenty more to explore as well 

I could not find the August war diary page (Must be one somewhere )when I looked earlier... which is why I tried

looking for the regiment book for you. As they are a great source of information 

Glad I found it for you

John

Nice one Jervis he's found the headstone:D:thumbsup:

Your so good.. great to hear anything to do with him and his regiment.. thank you so much, I've been sharing all the stuff with my mum and shes delighted too😃 thanks again for all ye're help

19 minutes ago, Jervis said:

79336AE2-88A4-48AE-AFE1-5A880CEDCED4.jpeg

Thanks Jarvis, great to get a glimpse of this😃

10 minutes ago, Jervis said:

McDonnell’s death is mentioned in Francis Hitchcock’s memoir ‘stand to’. Page 148 23 Aug 1916. 

The Leinsters were on the way to the front line late evening to carry out a relief when they were shelled near ‘Stanley dump’. 

“One she’ll burst right beside me, and Sgt Henry was wounded. Two fine old toughs were killed instantly, 4807 Pte Lynch a reservist who has been with the Battalion since 14 and 4238 (sic) Pte McDonnell, another fine type.”

I've bought this book yesterday.. should have it in the next day or so.. looking forward to reading it.. thanks again jarvis😃

Oh if its for the mum then its got to be a full on presentation for her:thumbsup::wacko::rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Philly vaughan said:

I've bought this book yesterday.. should have it in the next day or so.. looking forward to reading it.. thanks again jarvis😃

2 books with first hand evidence... brilliant:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, johnmelling1979 said:

Oh if its for the mum then its got to be a full on presentation for her:thumbsup::wacko::rolleyes:

🤣😃 gonna do up a little booklet with all in it for all the relations, know they'd love to gear all about him.. just found it hard to keep quiet when I started seeing all the cool stuff🤣🤣

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

#4239 was transferred from no6 General Hospital Rouen to England with a GSW Leg on 12 May 1915 - at that point he was 1st battalion.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007306664%2F00268&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2FSUPP%2F137991
and the hospital register for the same incident
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=S2%2FGBM%2FMH106%2FMH106-299%2F0026&parentid=GBM%2FMH106%2F217071

Craig

Only seen this now craig😃 thanks for that really interesting yet are all such a great help😃

4 hours ago, Philly vaughan said:

Wow😃 yeah that's him, I just had his number and family details and seen where he died.. your so good to share.. I can have a look at all these areas for the times.. we have photo of 3 men in uniform from guillemont, we dont know whis in it.. but will put the up later.. thank you so much john for this info😃

Hi Philly, 

Could I ask you to post the photo or PM it to me please? My great grandfather served in same battalion and was wounded in Guillemont. I have an interest in Battalion in general and I would be very interested in viewing the photos. 

thanks Jervis