Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC Programme "The Trench"

Cynthia

Now that I have this multi-region DVD player, I am always on the hunt for DVDs and keep coming up empty-handed! I just got a copy of Richard Van Emden's book about the making of the programme, and would like to see it. I remember a thread about it last year when it was shown. I was in France at the time, but the hotel in Arras where I stayed did not get BBC programmes, whereas many of them do, so I missed it.

Although I think many Baker Pals panned the programme, I wonder if anyone knows whether it is available on DVD, or might be in the near future. I went to the BBC Shop online and did not see it, so my guess is it is not available. Any information for a Great War programme starved American?

Cynthia

Cynthia ,

I don't think this is available on DVD. I did find the 1999 film "The Trench" available for $15 or so but I think you may already have this.

I hope I will have a DVD recorder this year and will then be able hopefully to record some stuff and send it out to you ! DVD compatability allowing .

Ian

Cynthia.

As far as i know,it has not been released on DVD.

It was repeated,in the last week,on one of the UK history channels in the afternoon.

I believe it was UK History.

Not sure if you are able to get any english digital channels,but they do have a tendency to repeat these type of show's on a regular basis.

I would have thought it would be out soon although the BBC aren't great ones for releasing documentry's to soon.

All the best.

Simon.

Does anyone know a good catalogue, print or on-line where you can get a comprehensive list of History-related DVDs and videos from all producers (BBC, History Channel etc)? DD Video are pretty good but they concentrate on military/transport stuff.

Does anyone know a good catalogue, print or on-line where you can get a comprehensive list of History-related DVDs and videos from all producers (BBC, History Channel etc)? DD Video are pretty good but they concentrate on military/transport stuff.

Mark,

Blackstar is good for DVDs and videos.

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/browse/37...370/812/483/j:B

Well I work for the BBC and they have a shop in Television Centre and I am sure that I have seen a copy of the trench in there. I will check on Monday. If anyone wants a copy please let me know.

Hi Cynthia,

Just sent you a long email!!

As regards to your thread I hope you get to see the programmes! I am one of the few who do not pan this series!! I liked it, particularly the veterans stories.

Alie.

Thanks to everyone for the information. Yes, Ciaran, if they do have the BBC programme of "The Trench" I would appreciate very much how I can order it on DVD. I do have the movie "The Trench" with Paul Nicholls, on DVD, so it is the TV programme I am after and have never yet seen.

The US History Channel really focuses heavily on US History, as is to be expected, but it can be frustrating for those of us whose interests stray further afield! I have been trawling the listings to see whether theymight put a programme on about the Somme near July 1st, but as you can guess, it is too near the Fourth of July!

When I am over in November, I am going to hit as many places as I can (IWM particularly) and see what I might be able to bring home with me.

Thanks again to everyone.

Cynthia