Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"4 Con dep"? Hospital admissions book help needed please

Pat Atkins

I'd really appreciate any insight into what appears to me to be "4 Con dep" written in a column of a hospital admissions book from 1918 (I'm researching a family member); I haven't a clue what it might mean!

Many thanks as always, Pat

1138404576_Screenshot2020-03-04at18_28_32.png.e81dd716b34f72953959bcc1acc502eb.png

No 4 Convalescent Depot - effectively a rest camp to recover after injuries or illness.

Craig

Given "Australia" features in Pat's scan, perhaps No 4 Australian Convalescent Depot, Frustratingly, a quick Google leads to only a passing reference or two, and there doesn't seem to be a war diary. (Quite a few hits for No 1 Convalescent Depot.)

Moonraker

Aha - many thanks, as ever, for the help. 

Cheers, Pat.

I think that may have been a British convalescent depot, given its context. I can't find another search result for "No 4 Convalescent Depot", but add "Australian" and the only hit was for this Australian's service record

He appears to have gone to the depot from "Havre" and left it for Rouelles in November 1917.

Can Pat tell us the nationality of his family member?

And I may have suggested a red herring with my observation of "Australia" in Pat's scan. Perhaps a scan of  a larger portion of the page?

Edited by Moonraker

1st line I think says Carisbrook Cas(tle), a hospital ship. To me the last line says W' Australia IE 'Western Australia', another hospital ship.

TEW

Thanks for the continued assistance, folks. My great uncle was British, and serving in 123rd FC Royal Engineers in October 1918. Am away from my records so can't post a larger pic yet, apologies. Am aware of no obvious Australian connection otherwise.

Cheers, Pat

This is the full document; it's from FMP, which lists it as the admissions book of 2nd Gen Hospital. My man is the final entry, 30445 Spr PTC Atkins.

Ah, my seizing on the "Australia" reference served only to mislead. Googling confirms that No 2 General Hospital was at "Havre"

For example

Nice Googling, thanks, Moonraker. As to the cause of hospitalisation,123rd FC had recently (20th October 1918) built a bridge across the Selle in 23 hours in difficult conditions, the final 8 hours involving the men working chest-deep in the water; I'm not sure if pleurisy might be caught or exacerbated by such exertions, but I did wonder.

Cheers, Pat